Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop-Derived Dextrin-Reducing Enzymes from Dry-Hopping? Wow.  (Read 2237 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Hop-Derived Dextrin-Reducing Enzymes from Dry-Hopping? Wow.
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »
Stan H's newest excellent hop e-newsletter has a reference to a hop research study that Allagash Brewing and Oregon State University presented at the 2017 Craft Brewers Conference. Came as a surprise to read. Heavy dry hoppers who also bottle condition should read. Pretty interesting:

“With the increasing trend of greater dry-hopping rates, the impact hop compounds have on beer flavor and beer quality becomes more important, but it is not entirely understood. Experiments carried out at OSU suggest that residual enzymatic power of hops can be transferred to dry-hopped beer and, in turn, influence the composition of its fermentable and nonfermentable carbohydrates.” And, here’s one reason why such research is important: “The residual enzymatic activity of hops in beers containing active yeast may result in excessive build-up of CO2 in packaged beer, which represents a safety hazard, along with alcohol contents that are out of specification.” Brewers are in the results because such residual activity may create diacetyl in dry hopped beers."

Link to the study:    https://www.asbcnet.org/events/archives/2017ASBCMeeting/proceedings/Pages/35.aspx

Edited grammar
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:34:54 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop-Derived Dextrin-Reducing Enzymes from Dry-Hopping? Wow.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:54 pm »
We covered this on EB a couple years ago.  It's based on a paper from 1939/41.  I'll post a link later.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »
Conclusion, if your beer finishes with too high FG, just excessively dry hop it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:31:09 pm »
We covered this on EB a couple years ago.  It's based on a paper from 1939/41.  I'll post a link later.

I remembered the part about dry hopping having an influence on perceived bitterness, but I guess I missed this info. Pretty interesting.
Jon H.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:53:41 pm »
Interesting.  I remember reading old British texts that specifically cite amylase helping to further secondary fermentation and reduce residual sugars as a major reason for dry hopping.  I always figured they were just talking buncombe.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:59:22 pm »
Ray Daniels had a tweet about that paper around that time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:17:24 pm »
I haven't bottle conditioned much for a long time. I dry keg hop IPAs fairly heavily (5 oz-ish) and haven't noticed much in terms of the beer getting progressively drier. OTOH these beers are best consumed young and often don't last more than a month. But they sometimes last 2+ months and I still can't say I've experienced it in a noticeable way. Anybody else? Maybe the effect seems noticeable quicker in the smaller volume of a bottle? Just thinking out loud.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:37:41 am »
I haven't bottle conditioned much for a long time. I dry keg hop IPAs fairly heavily (5 oz-ish) and haven't noticed much in terms of the beer getting progressively drier. OTOH these beers are best consumed young and often don't last more than a month. But they sometimes last 2+ months and I still can't say I've experienced it in a noticeable way. Anybody else? Maybe the effect seems noticeable quicker in the smaller volume of a bottle? Just thinking out loud.

Interesting. Not observing the drying out affect could also be due to the keg being kept cold limiting the amount of enzyme activity vs. a bottle which may be stored warmer especially during the conditioning phase.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:17 am »

I remembered the part about dry hopping having an influence on perceived bitterness, but I guess I missed this info. Pretty interesting.

Here's a link to the episode...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-12-going-stale ....and the orignal paper about it...http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1941.tb06070.x/abstract .  Our episode was nearly 2 years ago.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:59 am »
Ray Daniels had a tweet about that paper around that time.

Yep.  Just after we did the show IIRC.

www.dennybrew.com