Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Potential flavor profile?  (Read 978 times)

Offline CranjisMcBasketball

• Cellarman
Potential flavor profile?
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »
So, new to brewing here after a very long hiatus. I am going to be doing a dry hop on an IPA that I brewed the other day. I am wondering what kind of aromas I can expect from a Lemondrop, Soirachi Ace, El Dorado combo, and what the most common length of time is used for dryhopping?  Is five days excessive?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Potential flavor profile?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »
Well, Stone's Delicious IPA uses Lemondrop and El Dorado late and dry. They work well together.

Lemondrop - Lemony/citrusy
El Dorado - Fruity/citrusy. Some people get a candy-like/Jolly Rancher character. Mixed with enough citrusy hops, it's less noticeable to me.
Sorachi - Lemony and herbal/dill. I wouldn't worry about getting the herbal character in this combo because El Dorado is strong and assertive. Solo in a saison, maybe a different story.

As for extraction time, you'll hear lots of differing opinions. I personally dry hop in the keg and leave the hops in to stay. Others dry hop in the fermenter as fermentation winds down. I feel like extraction is done in around 3 days at room temp, longer at cooler temps. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:34:03 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.