Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interview questions.  (Read 1870 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
Interview questions.
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:45:44 am »
So there is a new brewery opening up in my hometown. It will be the only one here. I have an interview for the head brewing position and I am wondering what I should expect to get asked and what I should be prepared to answer. I have taken a day brewing school so i have used the equipment and I am somewhat formilar with the commercial equipment but still need to lear a lot more!

Thank you for your help.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Interview questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:42:36 pm »
Simple questions about cleaning procedures, brewing procedures, etc. If I were you I'd worry about why a group was opening a brewery without having an idea who their head brewer was going to be. How much do THEY know about brewing? seems like they are putting the cart before the horse.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:49:11 am »
Simple questions about cleaning procedures, brewing procedures, etc. If I were you I'd worry about why a group was opening a brewery without having an idea who their head brewer was going to be. How much do THEY know about brewing? seems like they are putting the cart before the horse.

Funny, I was wondering the same thing.  It’s quite possible the owners may only be interested in making a profit and in doing so, may restrict the brewmaster in a variety of ways where, ultimately, the product you create is less than what you were envisioning.  You could be going to work each day wearing a pair of handcuffs, metaphorically speaking.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 12:31:50 pm »
While its always to consider the cautionary stuff the last two bring up, I say go in there with an open mind and the answers to the questions that you should know the answers to.  Don't go into it with a negative mindset, just be prepared to feel out the situation and advocate for brewing the beer that you like and think the drinking public in your area will buy.  Get an offer from the owners then decide if its for you.  Good luck!