Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Purity and Why It's So Important  (Read 18845 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: CO2 Purity and Why It's So Important
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:14 am »
I don't drink science, I drink beer.  If I like the taste of the beer, that's all the science I need.
Effective immediately
Aroma 1pt
Appearance 1pt
Flavor 1pt
Mouthfeel 1pt
Overall 1pt
Science 45pts
Total possible, 50pts

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:55 am »
I have not sampled the stuff we get delivered in small cylinders 

That would make for an interesting data point. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:54 am »
I have not sampled the stuff we get delivered in small cylinders 

That would make for an interesting data point.

I'll check tomorrow

The Beerery

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:18 am »
I don't drink science, I drink beer.  If I like the taste of the beer, that's all the science I need.

The science goes into the beer you drink. 

So do you not use the liquid keg purge method?  Cause all one needs to do is search for keg purging and denny And they can find you saying that simple purges work for you and you have never had an issue..   

Don’t be like this. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:05 am »
Effective immediately
Aroma 1pt
Appearance 1pt
Flavor 1pt
Mouthfeel 1pt
Overall 1pt
Science 45pts
Total possible, 50pts

Jim, did you steal the QA forms from the Bud plant?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:53 am »

So do you not use the liquid keg purge method?  Cause all one needs to do is search for keg purging and denny And they can find you saying that simple purges work for you and you have never had an issue..   

Don’t be like this. 

Thank you for defining my goals for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:43 am »
RDWHAHB?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:26 am »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
All jokes aside, maybe many have just normalized many of the “Stage B” oxidation flavors in thier beers and it would take a tectonic shift in thier brewing to change their opinions.

That’s certainly fine. Fortunately everyone gets to do their own thing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2018, 11:38:44 am »
All jokes aside, maybe many have just normalized many of the “Stage B” oxidation flavors in thier beers and it would take a tectonic shift in thier brewing to change their opinions.

That’s certainly fine. Fortunately everyone gets to do their own thing.

Indeed. Also, don't rule out different goals in homebrewing.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

CO2 Purity and Why It's So Important
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2018, 11:41:44 am »

Don’t be like this. 

Thank you for defining my goals for me.

I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean as it doesn’t make sense. 

I stated no goals. 

For someone who runs something called experimental brewing and was part of a seminar callled “hold my beer and watch me science”, your options on the matter, baffle me. 

So which is it? Science does or doesn’t matter?   Or science only matters when it fits my needs/wants?

So since you can say I don’t taste science but you taste beer, what are your results from trying spunding vs force carbonating? Any test results we can read up on? 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:50:07 am by The Beerery »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2018, 11:49:38 am »
I think all of it is awesome! Love this hobby! I'm actually grateful for all of the info, and grateful I get to choose what's important to me. What we all should guard against is cubby-holing each other based on assumptions, when we never tried each other's beer.

I take some, reasonable "for me", steps to limit oxidation. I enjoy my beer, and folks who try it do also. And I enjoy making it. I'm still curious about improving it. Curious about all aspects, but that curiosity may not always get applied by me depending on what I personally choose to do or not do.

Example, spunding. I have no doubt it's the best way. But it's more than I want to mess with for what I feel could only be a minor improvement in "my beer". Not saying my beer is the best. Not saying your beer sucks and the only thing saving it is spunding.

The info is great, unfortunately it narrowed down to "Its science, so there!" and "I don't care about science" (paraphrasing to make my point) which is pointless, because it's clear this fight won't end until the forum is dead.

The Beerery

CO2 Purity and Why It's So Important
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
This is exactly right.

Here is my problem. Everything we post is based on science AND sensory analysis.
But, we (and only we, which I don’t understand) HAVE to post the science behind why we say something for validation for people meanwhile everyone else gets to say “to me it matters”.  When we say that, the response is “we need to see the science to back this up”.  When we post the science they say “science doesn’t matter”.

Repeat endlessly. I don’t get it. 

Try it, don’t try it. It’s beer, who cares.  We have literal thousands of people trying and loving our methods.  So it’s certainly not the snake oil folks make it out to be. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:01:30 pm by The Beerery »

Offline Robert

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2018, 12:09:03 pm »
I think all of it is awesome! Love this hobby! I'm actually grateful for all of the info, and grateful I get to choose what's important to me. What we all should guard against is cubby-holing each other based on assumptions, when we never tried each other's beer.

I take some, reasonable "for me", steps to limit oxidation. I enjoy my beer, and folks who try it do also. And I enjoy making it. I'm still curious about improving it. Curious about all aspects, but that curiosity may not always get applied by me depending on what I personally choose to do or not do.

Example, spunding. I have no doubt it's the best way. But it's more than I want to mess with for what I feel could only be a minor improvement in "my beer". Not saying my beer is the best. Not saying your beer sucks and the only thing saving it is spunding.

The info is great, unfortunately it narrowed down to "Its science, so there!" and "I don't care about science" (paraphrasing to make my point) which is pointless, because it's clear this fight won't end until the forum is dead.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."  That might have to get added to my signature.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio