Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My water report  (Read 3403 times)

Offline tmaurer

• Cellarman
My water report
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:51:44 am »
When I ask my water department to give me a water report, this is what they give me: http://www.altoonawater.com/uploads/pdf/2009CCR.pdf

I can't make sense of it.  It doesn't really tell me anything.  Or maybe it does, and I'm not reading it right?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My water report
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:54:53 am »
Useless.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:07:53 am »
Yeah, that isnt telling you much except its safe to drink

Check out Ward Labs, go with either W-5 or W-6
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline tmaurer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:16:34 pm »
I figured it was useless.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »
I thought my local water company wasn't very good.  But this is bad.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:27 pm »
I thought my local water company wasn't very good.  But this is bad.

Pretty much the same thing I get from my water company.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tmaurer

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »
But they did say, "Well sir... you CAN have it independently tested.  That will of course be at your own expense.  But we can assure you that the City of Altoona has THE best water in central PA".

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »
But they did say, "Well sir... you CAN have it independently tested.  That will of course be at your own expense.  But we can assure you that the City of Altoona has THE best water in central PA".

Interesting.
My city water Chemist was very friendly and knowledgeable when I requested water analysis.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:51 am »

Get test W-6 from Ward Lab (http://wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WaterAnalysis.aspx) for $16.50 for all the info you need.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joeysmokedporter

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:11 am »
another recommendation for Ward Labs--they are very easy to use and offer fairly quick turnaround.
R. Lorber
Westminster, MD

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:01:53 am »

The pathetic part of this is I can guarantee they've tested the water for all the parameters you're looking for, and at your expense via taxpayer dollars. So why not just give you the information? My municipality also just gave the required reporting information at first, but when I asked for the specific info I needed, and explained why, one of the engineers was more than forthcoming. I've also used the Ward Labs reports in the past, and they're great, so at least you have that option.
Mark Gres

Offline pedro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:24:01 am »
When I've called my city's water department and asked to speak with someone in the lab, the lab folks there were more than happy to give me exactly what I asked for.  I'm sure they are not alone here - unless they are dealing with a major water crisis, generally they will find the time to help someone who has taken the time to call about the specifics that are not posted on the web site or on the standard report (which more or less has to deal with toxins and public health).  At least it's worth a quick phone call before going the Ward Labs route.

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:42:45 am »
If the water supplier is a governmant agency, not a private utility company, and if the friendly approach does not work, you could writea formal letter asking for the data under the Freedom of Information Act. A FOIA will generally get you most info within a few weeks at the cost of photocopying the lab report pages.

narvin

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 08:54:07 am »

There could just be a miscommunication going on here.  Try to explain that you aren't questioning whether it's safe to drink, but are looking for a detailed report on the mineral content.  My local department called it something different than the water report, but were happy to give it to me once they understood what i wanted.  you may have to talk to the lab people directly.