Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary yeast strain  (Read 1330 times)

HopDen

Secondary yeast strain
« on: January 18, 2018, 01:26:08 pm »
Last year I made a Lavender Saison which garnered a lot of positive feedback. This year I want to tweak a few things, one of which is using a secondary yeast to accelerate attenuation. I'm going to use Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison for the primary. I could just let the temps ramp up to the high side but I don't want to coax higher esters or phenols. Any suggestions or experience using a secondary yeast is greatly appreciated!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Secondary yeast strain
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:39:54 pm »
Zymurgy had an article addressing just this issue.  IIRC, Belle Saison is added shortly after peak krausen to help finish the fermentation without contributing much to the flavor profile.  I've done it once and prefer the warm fermentation with some degassing to get the beer to ferment dry.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »
Last year I made a Lavender Saison which garnered a lot of positive feedback. This year I want to tweak a few things, one of which is using a secondary yeast to accelerate attenuation. I'm going to use Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison for the primary. I could just let the temps ramp up to the high side but I don't want to coax higher esters or phenols. Any suggestions or experience using a secondary yeast is greatly appreciated!

On Experimental Brewing, we discovered that the key to getting good performance from 3724 is open fermentation. 

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/saison-yeast-airlock-vs-open-ferment-does-it-prevent-stall

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

HopDen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:17:00 am »
Thanks for the good info. I was not aware of  back pressure issues. Cheers!