Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Hop bill help using Chinook, Ekuanot, & Comet  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
IPA Hop bill help using Chinook, Ekuanot, & Comet
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »
After tasting many other IPA's, homebrews, and many various brewery IPAs I recently went back to my local Left Hand Brewing and had some Extrovert and Introvert IPA's and love their unique taste, very unlike most other IPA's.  So, I researched the hops they use and decided to brew an IPA with the main hops.  I don't want to clone with grains, which make the beer, but enjoy their hops.  After searching I found the Extrovert to use Equinox, Comet, and Cascade hops, which the Introvert also uses (among others).  I prefer the hop flavor of Chinook over Cascade so decided it would be a worthy replacement.  I can't find a hop bill of either or any of their brews so made a bill of my own that I want to get critiqued.  My brew will be extract so I made my own recipe that I can share if necessary.  My most recent IPA's have been to "muddy" with too many hop flavors and types to taste any particular hop on its own so I'm aiming to get a nice balanced IPA.  I know that adding hops at different times impart different flavors so want to use that to get as many flavors as possible with the hops used but not too much.  I'm aiming for about 6.5-7% ABV and enough malt flavor to balance the flavors with varieties of extract malt and steeping additions.  I realize that 30 min additions may not add much flavor but figure it will add some interesting oils to make the additions worth it.  I can always eliminate those additions.  I don't want too much bitterness either.  Aiming for about 70 IBUs if it makes sense.
I want opinions of my hop bill to see if the hop flavors will be balanced enough to taste the most of each (5.75 g boil with aim of 5 G of final beer):

1oz chinook @60
.5 chinook 30
.5 ekuanot 30
.5 ekuanot 15
.5 comet 15
.5 ekuanot 10
.5 comet 5
.5 chinook 5
.5 ekuanot 0
1 comet 0
1 ekuanot dry
1 comet dry
1 chinook dry
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:37:57 pm by Uvolnit »

Offline Barnacle

• 1st Kit
Re: IPA Hop bill help using Chinook, Ekuanot, & Comet
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
I would like to know how these data are updated.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:35 pm »
My current ipa features equinox and comet primarily and I really like that hop combination. Good mix of pine, citrus, stone fruit, pineapple, and herbal.

I recommend getting the majority of your ibus from the bittering addition then pushing all of hops to late kettle and dry hop. Just my personal preference that simplifies as well.

I am not a big fan of lefthand and have steered clear of their ipas in the past. Might need to give them a second chance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:45:39 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »
Here is the updated hop bill I used on brew day:

1oz chinook @60
.5 chinook 30
.5 ekuanot 10
.5 comet 10
.5 ekuanot 5
.5 comet 5
1 ekuanot 0
1 comet 0
.5 chinook 0

1 comet dry
1 chinook dry

(I'm going to try the beer when racking to secondary to see how it tastes and decide then whether or not to add the dry hops)

My current ipa features equinox and comet primarily and I really like that hop combination. Good mix of pine, citrus, stone fruit, pineapple, and herbal.

I recommend getting the majority of your ibus from the bittering addition then pushing all of hops to late kettle and dry hop. Just my personal preference that simplifies as well.

I am not a big fan of lefthand and have steered clear of their ipas in the past. Might need to give them a second chance.

I agree with ibus from 60min addition but wasn't sure what what a 30 min addition will do for flavor.  I'm sure some different flavors come out but most of the aromatic, fruity oils will likely be gone at that point.
I'm not a big LeftHand fan either but like I said in the original post, I stopped in there for a few beers recently, since I live 5 mins away, and after making and tasting literally hundreds of other IPA's theirs had a unique hop flavor and aroma that I liked a lot.

Also, FYI, LeftHand just introduced a new IPA and I heard that they're going to discontinue the Introvert and Extrovert.  Not sure if true.  The new one tasted good though and seemed like maybe a hybrid of the 2 others.

I would like to know how these data are updated.

I will update once I drink a few.  On brew day it definitely smelled amazing.