Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water overnight and campton tabs?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
Water overnight and campton tabs?
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:16:53 pm »
  I normally start with drawing water out of my faucet and adding 1/4 campton tablet per 5 gallon of water. I leave it over night.  the next day (brewing day) I use the water for my mash and sparge.
  Question is, does this sound like a good way to prepare my brewing water?
                I will add salts to my mash and sparge as needed.   

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Water overnight and campton tabs?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:40:32 pm »
If you're trying to dechlorinate, you have enough metabisulfite to do the job.  It doesn't even need overnight to work, really.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:43:54 pm »
Reactions with campden ( metabisulfite ) are effectively immediate when added to the water.  No need to leave it out overnight.

Adding salts is fine as long as you know the makeup of your tap water and the resulting water ( after adding salts).  Have you had your tap water tested?  Knowing the alkalinity will help determine water viability, acid addition and dilution options.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:52:34 pm by BitterItDown »

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:12:53 pm »
yes I have had my water tested by Ward labs. I was just wondering about adding the campton tab in the overnight water, seems I just need to add it the same day I brew.
  But does it hurt to add it overnight? Mostly I get my water ready the night before so I don't have to mess with it on brew day.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:27:54 pm »
yes I have had my water tested by Ward labs. I was just wondering about adding the campton tab in the overnight water, seems I just need to add it the same day I brew.
  But does it hurt to add it overnight? Mostly I get my water ready the night before so I don't have to mess with it on brew day.
It doesn't matter either way.  I've taken to measuring my water and adding all my treatment the night before just because it saves time on brew day.  Whatever's convenient for you.
One thing on your water test, be aware that water supplies vary in their composition seasonally and even day to day to some degree, so a water report is only one data point, albeit one that's within the range of what you get.
If that bothers you (or you just don't get the results you expect) you might eventually want to consider Building your water from RO.  No chlorine, and you completely control the minerals.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:18 pm »
Ya that would be my next big thing I buy, other wise I have thought about using distilled with my lighter beers and lagers. Aurora Colorado water is pretty good for darker beers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:43:34 pm by russell »

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »
Ya that would be my next big thing I buy, other wise I have thought about using distilled with my lighter beers and lagers. Aurora Colorado water is pretty good.
I've gone the RO route just recently (after trying to avoid it) but I say if you can work with what comes out of the faucet, lucky you!  Best thing no matter what is a good calculator.  I was persuaded by the forum here to try the Bru'n Water spreadsheet, and now I wonder how I ever lived without it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:48 pm »
have done brun water, ez water, brewers friend water calculater, and Beer Smith water profile tool. This got me kind of confused with all those (maybe I shouldn't have done that.) I kind of like using Beer smith tool. But I understand why you like Brun water, it in includes the malts and I think that makes a difference.

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:41 pm »
have done brun water, ez water, brewers friend water calculater, and Beer Smith water profile tool. This got me kind of confused with all those (maybe I shouldn't have done that.) I kind of like using Beer smith tool. But I understand why you like Brun water, it in includes the malts and I think that makes a difference.
Yeah, at the end of the day what matters most is hitting your mash pH, and without the grain input you're still guessing.  Then you can still play around to get the profile you want stylistically.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:59:36 pm »
Just fyi, brewers friend has the full recipe builder. They have a pretty good list of grains. Not trying to sell it, just sayin...

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:13:05 pm »
ya I keep track of my PH too