Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tried a Craft-A-Brew brewing kit....HELP!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline jbernard5688

• 1st Kit
Tried a Craft-A-Brew brewing kit....HELP!
« on: January 21, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »
So, I tried a Craft-A-Brew brewing kit. I WAS super-excited. After brewing the batch, I let it ferment for 3 weeks instead of the recommended 2 weeks. It slowly grew cloudier and cloudier.

It was an amber-colored liquid, but now it's a cloudy liquid. I kept it covered and the temperature stayed under 73 degrees. I'm going to post a picture, hopefully, from that, I can get some guidance. I appreciate any information I can get. What could I have done wrong here?

Right...so uh...how do I post images in here? I'm not getting an option to add one here.

Big Monk

Re: Tried a Craft-A-Brew brewing kit....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:47 pm »
So, I tried a Craft-A-Brew brewing kit. I WAS super-excited. After brewing the batch, I let it ferment for 3 weeks instead of the recommended 2 weeks. It slowly grew cloudier and cloudier.

It was an amber-colored liquid, but now it's a cloudy liquid. I kept it covered and the temperature stayed under 73 degrees. I'm going to post a picture, hopefully, from that, I can get some guidance. I appreciate any information I can get. What could I have done wrong here?

Right...so uh...how do I post images in here? I'm not getting an option to add one here.

You need to use a third party. Tapatalk let’s you post straight from your phone.

Offline jbernard5688

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:31:58 pm »
And if I'm on a laptop?

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »
And if I'm on a laptop?

A third party host and then link the URL here.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »
And if I'm on a laptop?
You can save it to cloud storage like Google Drive and create a link to post here.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:47:13 am »
Your beer is going to get cloudy as the yeast ferment the beer. Depending on what yeast you use it may take some time for the yeast to drop out of solution and clear the beer.

You will need to take a final gravity reading with a hydrometer to know if your fermentation is finished, but when you are sure it is finished you will want to get it cold, that will help drop the yeast out and clear it up (although cold temps also set a protein based "chill haze", but that's another story.)