Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unwanted CFC Whirlpool Aeration  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
Unwanted CFC Whirlpool Aeration
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:41 am »
Hey all,
I have a few brews under my belt with a new system. I am using a CFC and have a dedicated whirlpool port. I have had issues when initially starting my whirlpool with the wort bubbling considerably even with the valve open minimally. I am trying to avoid this and my thought would be to have the wort run through the whirlpool arm because that hose is connected to the top of the CFC. If I use gravity to fill the CFC will I be successful if, once “filled”, I then slowly push the wort back through the CFC using the pump from the bottom up?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Unwanted CFC Whirlpool Aeration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:20:07 am »
Hey all,
I have a few brews under my belt with a new system. I am using a CFC and have a dedicated whirlpool port. I have had issues when initially starting my whirlpool with the wort bubbling considerably even with the valve open minimally. I am trying to avoid this and my thought would be to have the wort run through the whirlpool arm because that hose is connected to the top of the CFC. If I use gravity to fill the CFC will I be successful if, once “filled”, I then slowly push the wort back through the CFC using the pump from the bottom up?

I have the same issue, but just have to deal with it.  the only way I can see to virtually eliminate it would be to prime the CFC and return hose by opening the kettle out valve before attaching the return hose to the whirlpool valve but that sounds like a mess waiting to happen, and in my case potentially dangerous since I start recirculation 30 min before flameout in order to sanitize the CFC and hoses.

Would also love to hear a workable solution. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:21 pm »
Hey all,

I have the same issue, but just have to deal with it.  the only way I can see to virtually eliminate it would be to prime the CFC and return hose by opening the kettle out valve before attaching the return hose to the whirlpool valve but that sounds like a mess waiting to happen, and in my case potentially dangerous since I start recirculation 30 min before flameout in order to sanitize the CFC and hoses.

Would also love to hear a workable solution.

Holy cow 30 minutes!?!? I do 5.

My solution is 2 fold. I switched from a fixed to a removable silicone with a camlock. Also I purge all my lines and CFC with Co2 (then cap). This allows me to not get any oxidation, and also it sanitizes the hose I use to fill my fermenters. 

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:55 am »
Holy cow 30 minutes!?!? I do 5.

yeah I guess I could do a bit shorter, but with late hop additions, I've always tried to get it going when nothing else is going on.  maybe i'll look into last 10 min.  need to have enough boil contact time to kill any bad guys in the CFC or lines though.

your process is definitely ideal - could still keep the fixed, if you purged the ball lock just before filling the BK, and then following the rest of your process.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281