Author Topic: Belgian Golden Strong Ale  (Read 1364 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
Re: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
We do make a distinction between "blond" and tripel. "Blond" beers are beers such as Grimbergen, Leffe and Affligem. They are a bit more phenolic than tripels.

Duvel is really different, as it is brewed with a non-Belgian yeast.

For my beer judge exam I had to be able to blindly determine whether a beer was a tripel, a blond or a Duvel. The problem is that there are also big differences between brands, so many a night was spent in tears and despair as I tried in vain to nail them down.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
I think the descriptors for both tripel and golden strong both fit the beers I've sampled.  Just sayin.  Sure there is a lot of variety within the style.  A style of beer should NOT mean that every beer should taste the same! 
I'm just saying that these two style guidelines are extremely close, and I doubt anyone could meaningfully discern the two. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Big Monk

• Brewmaster
  • I am Derek Scott: General Knower Abouter
    • View Profile
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
I think the descriptors for both tripel and golden strong both fit the beers I've sampled.  Just sayin.  Sure there is a lot of variety within the style.  A style of beer should NOT mean that every beer should taste the same! 
I'm just saying that these two style guidelines are extremely close, and I doubt anyone could meaningfully discern the two. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

One thing I will say is there is a ton more commonality in American versions than the Belgian counterparts. Most American Tripels and Golden Strongs all taste the same. Something like Golden Monkey tastes remarkably similar to Pranqster which is remarkably similar to Allagash Tripel, etc.

Sampling a Westmalle versus a Duvel versus a Chimay versus a Chouffe versus a DT seems, to my taste buds at least, to be a fundamentally different experience. I chalk it up to the more unique yeasts used in the Continental versions of the styles.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com

Offline Big Monk

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
From BLAM:

They have soft water with low iron. I tried to find a copy of the Breendonk water profile to attach here but wasn't successful. Either way, BLAM says they de-min the water and add salts back so water is anyone's guess.

They blend Pils varieties which I assume is for color purposes, but being that they boil for 90 minutes, it could be just to get the right flavor profile.

As Frank pointed out earlier, their yeast was isolated from McEwans by DeClerck himself.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
They have soft water with low iron. I tried to find a copy of the Breendonk water profile to attach here but wasn't successful. Either way, BLAM says they de-min the water and add salts back so water is anyone's guess.

It's "Willebroek" in Bru'nwater. But it is known that they use their own source, so not sure whether it would be the same.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Big Monk

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

It's "Willebroek" in Bru'nwater. But it is known that they use their own source, so not sure whether it would be the same.

Added to the sheet Frank!  ;)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »
I agree with this.  I also think those beers would fit into either category. 

Offline DeeGood888

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • https://sonicesoap.com/
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
I recently read this article on the style:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's great!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
 I am thinking about making a Belgian golden strong for my annual Christmas Beer. I’m wondering about how much aging is appropriate for the style. Can someone tell me what the sweet spot is please?
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 05:50:13 AM »
I am thinking about making a Belgian golden strong for my annual Christmas Beer. I’m wondering about how much aging is appropriate for the style. Can someone tell me what the sweet spot is please?
In my opinion, the fresher the better. I don't think age does much to improve this style. I'd brew early to mid November if I wanted a beer in this style to hit it's prime for Christmas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Big Monk

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
In my opinion, the fresher the better. I don't think age does much to improve this style. I'd brew early to mid November if I wanted a beer in this style to hit it's prime for Christmas.

^^^^
THIS

FWIW, when I bottle with remaining extract, I go grain to glass from my Single, all the way up to my Dark Strong, in about 8 days. After 10 days from brewday, they are all ready to drink and are tasty. My sweet spot is about 3 weeks in the bottle.

With that said, I tailor my fermentation to try and limit the byproducts that normally need to be aged out. No aging required if the byproducts that necessitate it aren’t there.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »

^^^^
THIS

FWIW, when I bottle with remaining extract, I go grain to glass from my Single, all the way up to my Dark Strong, in about 8 days. After 10 days from brewday, they are all ready to drink and are tasty. My sweet spot is about 3 weeks in the bottle.

With that said, I tailor my fermentation to try and limit the byproducts that normally need to be aged out. No aging required if the byproducts that necessitate it aren’t there.

It had been a long time since I'd brewed any Belgian style other than a saison. Really enjoyed my recent Trappist Single, but consider myself a novice in these categories.  Are you using separate fermentation profiles for different styles/categories/OGs?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »

Absolutely agree. If kept cold this style will age better than many other pale type beers but fresh is absolutely best.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2018, 05:08:05 PM »

Maybe 2 weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
Well that is excellent!  It eliminates the need for making a decision for my next brew day (2 weeks from today).  An IPA it is!

I'm very used to brewing dark, strong beers for Christmas, so I usually do them in March. 
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667