Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Formal education  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Formal education
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:57 am »
    Does anyone on this forum have any experience with, perspectives on or opinions about The Brewing and Distilling Center in Knoxville, TN and their program?
   As a follow on, any other concise certificate level programs that you would recommend? I realize that there are a number of 1, 2 and 4 year programs offered at various colleges and universities, and that every one seems to offer a different certificate or degree. I am looking for accelerated programs of less than 6 months.
   Thanks.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Formal education
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:38 am »
I don't have anything to add about the program you specified but I know there are some shorter programs out there. A small local-ish college here has started offering a much shorter program that is a basic skills class plus an internship. They work with local breweries to get people hands on experience right away. I know several people have made the jump directly into brewing jobs afterwards. I don't think that program would be much use beyond this local area but I'm sure it's not the only one out there like that.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:48 am »
   And where is local for you?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:47:50 pm »
I attended the American Brewers Guild in Middlebury Vermont I did the non-resident course and only had to do one week up there on the brewing equipment everything else was DVDs and web-based and I really thought that it helped me gain a more knowledge and a better understanding of larger operations Than I could get from all my homebrewing and got my foot in the door to get a job as an assistant brewer at a brewpub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:13:11 am »
I hired a guy who went to Knoxville. Seems like they cover the basics pretty well. I think that there are some online courses that you could take that would be just as good. As with all schools the education is only part of the deal. I have hired and trained 3 brewers who went off to either start other breweries or work for other breweries as head brewers across the SE. 2 out of the three received educations after they worked for me but all of their real education came on the job.

I have hired other folks with brewing education who literally didn't know jack.

Having a formal education is great because you can expect to make more money, the rest is up to work ethic.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:27 am »
   Thanks Major.
    One of the apparent advantages of Knoxville is proximity to a number of craft breweries, and the opportunity to gain valuable OJT experience. I expect that as you said, I'd learn more in the brewery than in the classes, but the classroom part would definitely be enhanced by putting the lessons into practical use. Especially since my old brain doesn't absorb stuff nearly as well as it used to.
   There are a number of other certificate programs which are MUCH closer, but for most the In Brewery experience opportunities are far fewer, and most require an entire school year.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 11:56:54 am »
I hired a guy who went to Knoxville. Seems like they cover the basics pretty well. I think that there are some online courses that you could take that would be just as good. As with all schools the education is only part of the deal. I have hired and trained 3 brewers who went off to either start other breweries or work for other breweries as head brewers across the SE. 2 out of the three received educations after they worked for me but all of their real education came on the job.

Having a formal education is great because you can expect to make more money, the rest is up to work ethic.

Did the brewers you hired have any background in brewing or any formal education? Or were they just interested in learning and you taught them? You said 2 of the three went to get formal ed after you taught them. I know it will differ between businesses but I would assume that there would be more to it than what you can just teach any person.  I ask because im interested in getting into the business several years down the line and im trying to get stuff figured out now!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 07:16:37 am »

Did the brewers you hired have any background in brewing or any formal education? Or were they just interested in learning and you taught them? You said 2 of the three went to get formal ed after you taught them. I know it will differ between businesses but I would assume that there would be more to it than what you can just teach any person.  I ask because im interested in getting into the business several years down the line and im trying to get stuff figured out now!

The three in question:  None of them had any brewing experience when they started. The 2 that went off for formal education (one did an online course while working for me, I can't remember where off hand) were bother interested in brewing as a career from the beginning. The third was just looking for a change and decided he liked brewing as a career. It is kind of telling that the 2 who were interested in brewing as a career from the beginning sought out an education. They are also the two most successful (one owns his own brewery the other works for Bearded Iris in Nashville.)

If you are interested in brewing as a career there are three things you need to be good at. 1) Math. 2) Biology. 3) Chemistry. The rest of the stuff they teach you is basically "tricks of the trade", industry standard practices. As a self taught brewer I can assure you that is is way better to learn this in a class room setting than trying to figure it out on your own. So if you have the time and money go to school.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »
   I mailed them a check last week, so I guess I'll be finding out in the near future. The 25 hour drive each way massively sucks, but that's life. There are a lot worse towns to spend 3 months in.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:23:12 am »

The three in question:  None of them had any brewing experience when they started. The 2 that went off for formal education (one did an online course while working for me, I can't remember where off hand) were bother interested in brewing as a career from the beginning. The third was just looking for a change and decided he liked brewing as a career. It is kind of telling that the 2 who were interested in brewing as a career from the beginning sought out an education. They are also the two most successful (one owns his own brewery the other works for Bearded Iris in Nashville.)

If you are interested in brewing as a career there are three things you need to be good at. 1) Math. 2) Biology. 3) Chemistry. The rest of the stuff they teach you is basically "tricks of the trade", industry standard practices. As a self taught brewer I can assure you that is is way better to learn this in a class room setting than trying to figure it out on your own. So if you have the time and money go to school.

Awesome! Thanks for the response!