Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: local supplies, esp. CO2 near downtown Dallas TX  (Read 1554 times)

Offline drbusch

• 1st Kit
local supplies, esp. CO2 near downtown Dallas TX
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:30:52 am »
I just moved to Dallas and hope to get some advice on where to get supplies locally. I need to refill my CO2 tanks after the move.

I'm near the American Airlines center; an online search suggests most homebrew stores are a bit of a drive away.

Thanks much,
David

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: local supplies, esp. CO2 near downtown Dallas TX
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:29:14 am »
First off, everything is a bit of a drive in Dallas. ;)

Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson was my favorite shop. Grain prices are very fair. Second was Dallas Homebrew in Carrollton.  Stubbies out near Fort Worth is solid as well with good prices on equipment

I exchanged CO2 tanks at Airgas. Good prices, but they operate on bankers hours, so I had to burn my lunch. Specs does exchanges as well, but mostly 5lb tanks.

If you want to join a club, there are two. South of LBJ is Dallas Homebrew Collective, north of LBJ is North Texas Homebrewers Association.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:19:43 am »
Stevie is right on all accounts. (Especially about driving...)

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a bottle shop closer than the homebrew shops that will do a CO2 fill or swap but you'll need to call around. I think Bacon Equipment is near you and does CO2 fills but they are probably only open during normal business hours.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:23:12 am »
Check you auto parts stores... sounds goofy, but I just discover the other day that my local CarQuest has beverage grade Oxarc co2... I traded in an empty 20 for a full one, $30. Cheaper at Oxarc, but saves me 90 miles round trip.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:48 pm »
Check you auto parts stores... sounds goofy, but I just discover the other day that my local CarQuest has beverage grade Oxarc co2... I traded in an empty 20 for a full one, $30. Cheaper at Oxarc, but saves me 90 miles round trip.
That’s awesome. I have a CarQuest down the road. Guys there are great. I’ll need to check next time I need wiper blades or an air filter.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:43:31 pm »
That’s awesome. I have a CarQuest down the road. Guys there are great. I’ll need to check next time I need wiper blades or an air filter.
It's possible our little town is an oddball... frankly, I was stunned that there would be enough demand for them to have it. I doubt the three bars use them, maybe. And there is one tiny upstart brewery in town. But I only know of two other home brewers, who are maybe a 5 gallon batch a year, and bottle condition. It's weird, or I don't get out much lol.

Offline gbuschur

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:55 pm »
I go here: https://goo.gl/maps/uGKggNV18rk

I've had 5 lb, 20 lb, and 55 lb bottles filled and hydrostatic tested as recently as three months ago.  Just pull up in back at their loading dock and someone will help you out.