Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MoreBeer forum is apparently dead  (Read 10408 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: MoreBeer forum is apparently dead
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:25 am »
I think many have gravitated to Facebook and groups there. It's not as simple to search, but it provides real time responses. At one time we used email groups and usenet. Then that transitioned to forums. Now Facebook seems to be the flavor of the day. Many of the younger crowd do not use Facebook so I have no idea what the next trend will be for sharing information.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:17 am »
Yep.  Facebook.  It's a terrible place to try to learn anything, but it's the only place most people go these days.  Times change.  Forums are the way of the dinosaur.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:03 am »
I think many have gravitated to Facebook and groups there. It's not as simple to search, but it provides real time responses. At one time we used email groups and usenet. Then that transitioned to forums. Now Facebook seems to be the flavor of the day. Many of the younger crowd do not use Facebook so I have no idea what the next trend will be for sharing information.

Yep.  Facebook.  It's a terrible place to try to learn anything, but it's the only place most people go these days.  Times change.  Forums are the way of the dinosaur.

Hmm. Usenet -- that's from my day! I never jumped on Facebook etc, and understanding that that's  going down with th e ageing of its base I see  no reason to start now.  I hope this forum lasts.  Maybe thinning the herd will leave a couple strong ones? Hmm...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 09:08:18 am »
Traffic here on AHA is way way down from what it was just 4 or 5 years ago.

I suggest HBT to anyone who wants both traffic and fairly decent homebrewing advice.  You need a filter for some of the garbage but by & large it's pretty okay.  They do certainly still get good traffic there somehow. 

But where you want really good input on anything, I sure hope the AHA forums here stay around for a lot longer.  It's where I've preferred to spend my time for several years and still do.  More about quality, even if it's less in quantity.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2018, 09:15:56 am »

I suggest HBT to anyone who wants both traffic and fairly decent homebrewing advice.  You need a filter for some of the garbage but by & large it's pretty okay.  They do certainly still get good traffic there somehow. 

But where you want really good input on anything, I sure hope the AHA forums here stay around for a lot longer.  It's where I've preferred to spend my time for several years and still do.  More about quality, even if it's less in quantity.

Exactly why I'm a member here.  I've long lurked on HBT and others, but here is where the quality (and a share of goofball amusement) is.  Ray of hope: I was in my second-most-L HBS this week and in conversation with the 20-something  employee, I remarked "...because I spend way too much time on forums," to which he responded, "you and me both!"
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 10:12:22 am »
I just recently deleted my FB account. screw FB. But I noticed I started posting here a lt more again

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2018, 10:15:51 am »
No FB for me, either!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2018, 10:35:31 am »
I like FB, but I "hide" anything shared by a friend which comes from a source or a topic I don't care to see on Facebook. It has become a beautiful thing filled with beer, bourbon, cats, and owls... ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2018, 11:07:10 am »

Everything in homebrewing is down compared to 4-5 years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2018, 11:16:41 am »

Indeed.  Good point.
Dave

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2018, 11:54:39 am »

Could that be at least partly due to the improving economy?
I'd think that a lot of folks just don't have the same amount of free time that they had when the economy was still dragging.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 11:56:53 am »

I'd think that a lot of folks just don't have the same amount of free time that they had when the economy was still dragging.

Yeah, that's the traditional line and I think it's true.  When people are working more and making more money, they have less time and incentive to brew.  Add to that the fact that a lot of new brewers want it quick and easy, and don't feel like they have the time or desire to participate in forums and other stuff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 12:02:32 pm »

Yeah, that's the traditional line and I think it's true.  When people are working more and making more money, they have less time and incentive to brew.  Add to that the fact that a lot of new brewers want it quick and easy, and don't feel like they have the time or desire to participate in forums and other stuff.

So to accommodate those of us who are left...does AARP have forums? ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 12:08:32 pm »

Charlie is retiring, so maybe AHARP?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2018, 12:24:05 pm »

http://community.aarp.org/ ;)