Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY BIAB efficiency  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Sembur

• 1st Kit
DIY BIAB efficiency
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:57:23 pm »
Hi all, i've made myself a BIAB system which looks like this:

I'm using SmartPID to control the whole process. It's 3kW heating element.
Since I've started to brew using this bh, the efficiency dropped to 49% (it was 75% when i was using a coolbox mash tun and electric kettle). I thought it could be the grain crush (was 0,05). I've tried 0,04 and it didn't help. I thought it could be the mashing (i used to do just mash in, keep it on 67 C and than mash out), so I've tried to do step mash... And it didn't help. It's a pity to brew with this kinda efficiency. My last though was that I'm not doing fly sparge (as I used to do it with the coolbox), but this shouldn't result in such a huge drop from 75 to 49. Do you have any ideas / suggestions how to improve it?
Thank you in advance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: DIY BIAB efficiency
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:33:56 pm »
Are you doing any sparge at all?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sembur

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:44:58 pm »
Nope, I was doing before I did this bh. Now it's just step mash and mash out. But again, do you think that not having a fly sparge will result in such a huge drop? I mean, i will try it with sparge anyway, but just curious...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:10:10 pm »
Nope, I was doing before I did this bh. Now it's just step mash and mash out. But again, do you think that not having a fly sparge will result in such a huge drop? I mean, i will try it with sparge anyway, but just curious...

Fly sparge, batch sparge...either will likely increase your efficiency.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
A pump and recirculation would help greatly in lieu of sparging.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:23 pm »

Explain please?

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:22:20 pm »

Explain please?

Let me expand what I meant so I don't sound silly.

If you are going to do No-Sparge, recirculation helps as it is like a constantly stirred mash. You are mashing thin and getting lots of sugars in solution. Instead of saying "in lieu of sparging", I should have said "if you are not sparging". I was not suggesting that recirculation is a straight substitution.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:10 pm »

Explain please?

If you are going to do No-Sparge, recirculation helps as it is like a constantly stirred mash. You are mashing thin and getting lots of sugars in solution. Instead of saying "in lieu of sparging", I should have said "if you are not sparging". I was not suggesting that recirculation is a straight substitution.

Got it now.  Thanks for the clarification.  I'm not certain how much that would actually gain.  I assume that would only affect conversion, so I guess you'd have to do a conversion efficiency check to see if that was the problem.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:42 pm »

Explain please?

Got it now.  Thanks for the clarification.  I'm not certain how much that would actually gain.  I assume that would only affect conversion, so I guess you'd have to do a conversion efficiency check to see if that was the problem.

Just to clarify: Limiting losses in the tun is the number one thing to do to improve no-sparge efficiency. A bottom draining tun for example, coupled with 100% conversion, yields the highest No-Sparge efficiency by limiting your loss to absorption.

Still though, the basics, like good pH, conversion, etc. coupled with constant mash recirculation will definitely help.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 03:13:54 pm »
I BIAB (10 gallon kettle, 2.7 qt/lb, fabric filter, no sparge) and regularly get ~75%. I'd suggest stirring a few times during the mash, and if you want to Low O2 or don't want to stir yourself you can put in a pump and recirculate. I usually stir at the 0, 30, and 60 minutes and it works well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:29 pm »
I BIAB (10 gallon kettle, 2.7 qt/lb, fabric filter, no sparge) and regularly get ~75%. I'd suggest stirring a few times during the mash, and if you want to Low O2 or don't want to stir yourself you can put in a pump and recirculate. I usually stir at the 0, 30, and 60 minutes and it works well.

Agreed.  When I do my 20/20 BIAB batches, I stir several times and have gotten 75-78% efficiency.  I can't swear it's the stirring, but that's what I do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »

Agreed.  When I do my 20/20 BIAB batches, I stir several times and have gotten 75-78% efficiency.  I can't swear it's the stirring, but that's what I do.
20/20?

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:00 pm »

20/20?

If I’m not mistaken, 20 minute mash, 20 minute boil. 

Offline Sembur

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:42 am »

That's what I'm doing actually. Have the pump on during all the mash process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:19 am »

20/20?

If I’m not mistaken, 20 minute mash, 20 minute boil.

Yep

www.dennybrew.com