Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash pH way off  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Mash pH way off
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »
My Hanna pHep5 has always served well. In fact when I destroyed one I got another. ~$100, made in Romania. FWIW. I calibrate monthly but probably don't need to.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:39 pm »
My pH measurements recently got much more consistently close to Brun’water predictions after being all over the place.  I changed 3 things at once, so I am not sure what my solution was. I accidentally broke the electrode on my meter, so, I replaced that, I ran out of calibration solution and bought a different brand, and I started stirring the mash before taking my sample.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:17 pm »
One of the biggest things to remember is to take measurements in a consistent manner. It’s 15-20 minutes in for me and my mash recirculates the whole time.

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
Weyermann pils is notoriously high, it’s something like high 5.9 constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
Weyermann pils is notoriously high, it’s something like high 5.9 constantly.

My standard base, but yeah. I find that even at 0ppm total alkalinity and 50ppm Ca++ I may get pH 5.6-5.7, so I still need acid in the mash.

EDIT:  BTW I seem to find the Weyermann Bohemians are less problematic --  Beerery?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:51:16 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:30 am »
One of the biggest things to remember is to take measurements in a consistent manner. It’s 15-20 minutes in for me and my mash recirculates the whole time.
At that amount of time would it be better to check at a low mash-in temp, adjust, and raise to initial rest?  I’ve not been waiting that long.

Jeff B

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:45 am »
At that amount of time would it be better to check at a low mash-in temp, adjust, and raise to initial rest?  I’ve not been waiting that long.

For me personally, i'm confident enough in our spreadsheet that I usually check right before the end of my Beta rest. It's more of a confirmation then an adjustment step.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 11:04:05 am »
My pH measurements recently got much more consistently close to Brun’water predictions after being all over the place.  I changed 3 things at once, so I am not sure what my solution was. I accidentally broke the electrode on my meter, so, I replaced that

I have found that I have to replace my electrodes about once/year. That is assuming around 20+ batches or so in that time period. You know you need to replace when the meter takes a long time to not only calibrate, but each time you do go to calibrate, you are waaaayyyyyy off from where the actual calibration should even be. You can also tell when you simply aren't even getting close to any of your pH predictions. Time to replace!

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:38 am »
My pH measurements recently got much more consistently close to Brun’water predictions after being all over the place.  I changed 3 things at once, so I am not sure what my solution was. I accidentally broke the electrode on my meter, so, I replaced that

I have found that I have to replace my electrodes about once/year. That is assuming around 20+ batches or so in that time period. You know you need to replace when the meter takes a long time to not only calibrate, but each time you do go to calibrate, you are waaaayyyyyy off from where the actual calibration should even be. You can also tell when you simply aren't even getting close to any of your pH predictions. Time to replace!
You can maximize the life of your electrode by keeping it clean, making sure it's always stored in the proper storage solution, and NEVER letting it get exposed to temperatures other than room temperature.  (That's one reason you can't keep checking and adjusting your mash, the sample needs time to thoroughly cool.  So pH readings are indeed just confirmations you got it right.  If not, adjust your water next time.  It'll still be beer.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 04:01:02 pm »
With the last 2 brews I’ve done, I added lactic acid to hit the correct pH according to my meter, which means if Bru’n Water was correct and my meter was off, I’d have had a relatively acidic mash. I noticed 2things about these beers - firstly, my mash efficiency was quite a lot higher than usual, and secondly, both beers have been slower than usual to ferment and seem to have stalled at 1.020. Is this what we would expect from a very low mash pH? I brewed last night and decided to trust Bru’n Water and not add any lactic acid - my efficiency is right where it used to be and the airlock is bubbling away 9hrs after pitching. Does all this seem to point to a faulty pH meter?

I’m brewing again soon and should have a reliable meter to test with.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 09:49:27 am »
firstly, my mash efficiency was quite a lot higher than usual, and secondly, both beers have been slower than usual to ferment and seem to have stalled at 1.020. Is this what we would expect from a very low mash pH?

That is not my experience. I find that a lower mashing pH tends to produce a wort that is thinner and more fermentable. That suggests that the beer should ferment well and end with a lower than expected gravity.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 03:46:28 pm »
firstly, my mash efficiency was quite a lot higher than usual, and secondly, both beers have been slower than usual to ferment and seem to have stalled at 1.020. Is this what we would expect from a very low mash pH?

That is not my experience. I find that a lower mashing pH tends to produce a wort that is thinner and more fermentable. That suggests that the beer should ferment well and end with a lower than expected gravity.
Thank you! Haven’t been able to borrow a reliable pH meter yet - will keep trying!

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:47 am »
I use RO water for brewing, and my TDS reading tells me it's at 10ppm. I use the Bru'n Water spreadsheet, carefully weigh and add my additions, and yet all of my brews using my adjusted RO water have been about 0.7pH too high. Any ideas? On the Water Adjustment page, I set the dilution water percentage to 100%, select RO water as the dilution water. I find I have to add about 7 - 7.5ml of 88% lactic acid to my mash water to get it where I want it.

The first thing that comes to mind is that my pH meter is lying to me. I calibrate it before use, and it's new, but a cheap Chinese knockoff - this is the one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Digital-PH-Tester-Meter-Pen-Thermometer-Kit-Waterproof-0-1-CT-6021A/272945913272?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20151029142714%26meid%3D828932ecf15844d8858479df3b84ccff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321746376212&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 I would be surprised if it was this inaccurate though - a pH of 0.7 off is a huge difference.
What is the temp of your pH sample and at what point during the mash do you check it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.