Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cost of club website  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Cost of club website
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »
Hey, I've become the treasurer of my club, and was going through some of our expenses. We're a pretty small club, and are paying about $160/year to host our website. Is this pretty typical cost? It ends up being pretty significant portion of our annual dues, I'm kind of thinking there could be a better use of that money. It is nice having something not facebook affiliated for people that don't do social media. Maybe the AHA should solicit a deal for homebrew clubs, like they did for liability insurance.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Cost of club website
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:00 am »
This isn't unreasonable for hosting and domain registration, especially if you have services like email, a forum, merchant services to pay dues, etc. You could probably squeeze closer to $100-120 with those needs but you start having to worry about reliability and customer service.

Depending upon your current platform and what your website performs you might be able to migrate to a lower cost host like wordpress.com but you'll probably need to completely reformat the site. You might be able to reduce costs considerably but at the expense of time migrating and redesigning the site.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:59:47 pm »
Our club's domain (.org) costs $40 for two years, through GoDaddy.

Google Sites hosts our site for free.  I have long since forgotten how to do it, but GoDaddy has the information needed to point our Google Site to our domain name, so that it looks seamless.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:51:54 pm »

Google Sites hosts our site for free.  I have long since forgotten how to do it, but GoDaddy has the information needed to point our Google Site to our domain name, so that it looks seamless.
I never thought about using Google sites for our club website. The hosting and domain registration fees for our club are higher since we have two domains.

smkranz, Can you post your clubs website url? I would like to see what it looks like. We currently use WordPress which makes it very easy to post articles, updates, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:35 pm »

I never thought about using Google sites for our club website. The hosting and domain registration fees for our club are higher since we have two domains.

smkranz, Can you post your clubs website url? I would like to see what it looks like. We currently use WordPress which makes it very easy to post articles, updates, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As in my signature, http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

One advantage to using Google Sites, is that it allows us to have a Members Only section which requires permission granted only to club members.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »
Our club recently switched to a new domain and I think we pay $10 for the first year and like $100 ever year after that as the promo. We have a lot more space now and 500 email addresses. I will try to get more info tonight at our club meeting. We don’t really do a whole lot with our website though. It is a gateway to our annual competition.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."