Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st yeast starter  (Read 1016 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
1st yeast starter
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »
So after 4 years of home brewing i'm finally making my first yeast starer. I just want to check my math and get second opinions.
here are the details
 Rye Ipa
12gal batch going into fermenter
estimated OG 1.058
using 1pkg of wyeast 1056 (pkg on 12/25/17), brewing this sunday
looking for a pitch rate of 0.5-.75/ equally target yeast count of min of 324 billion cells.
I'm thinking of 2.5l starter at a gravity 1.035? that should give the correct cell count? these number are from brewer's friends yeast starter calc.
Also i'm using the malestrom plate with 5 speeds, what is the best speed option for proper aeration.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: 1st yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:23:07 am »
Slow is good.  Although I'll admit watching the vortex at high speeds is fun.   :)
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1st yeast starter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:25 am »
Search the forum for "shaken not stirred" for another option.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell