Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting Close to Chimay Red  (Read 3407 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Getting Close to Chimay Red
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »
I tasted a recent dubbel against Chimay Red last night, and I think it is the closest that one of my brews has gotten to it's commercial inspiration (flavor-wise anyway, the color is a bit off).

The Chimay has a slightly deeper cherry/leather flavor than mine, but they are very, very similar. 

Hopefully the yeast will drop out soon. It's been a while since I last used 1214, but my recollection is that it doesn't flocc very well (it's only been in cold storage for a week and a half).

Homebrew is on the left, Chimay's on the right.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:03:45 pm by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Getting Close to Chimay Red
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:36:20 pm »
I was very successful with WLP530 one time -- one time.  Tasted wonderful and scored a 41 in competition.  I have tried to brew it 2 or 3 times since then and it's never been the same.  I need more practice with the Belgians.  I will be running a couple of experiments this year, trying to clone not Chimay but this time La Fin du Monde.  Very soon.  By like April or May I will know more.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:15 pm »
I tasted a recent dubbel against Chimay Red last night, and I think it is the closest that one of my brews has gotten to it's commercial inspiration (flavor-wise anyway, the color is a bit off).

The Chimay has a slightly deeper cherry/leather flavor than mine, but they are very, very similar. 

Hopefully the yeast will drop out soon. It's been a while since I last used 1214, but my recollection is that it doesn't flocc very well (it's only been in cold storage for a week and a half).

Homebrew is on the left, Chimay's on the right.

If the flavor is on point just use some sinamar to get color in line.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:28:45 pm by Big Monk »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:54:31 pm »
The homebrew is the darker one.  Try a little less color malts and/or dark syrup, and maybe boil for a little shorter time -- 45 minutes or even less might be good enough.  Save any dark syrups for the end of the boil for sure.  These things will help you nail the clone.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:32 pm »
The homebrew is the darker one.

Sorry, I screwed that up.  The homebrew is on the left; I'll edit the post.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
Well shoot, then maybe I should edit my post then!  I think it's easier if I just say this:

What Big Monk said.

Or use an ounce of Carafa III or something like that.

Ah, that's so much easier.  :)
Dave

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:55:54 pm »
Well shoot, then maybe I should edit my post then!  I think it's easier if I just say this:

What Big Monk said.

Or use an ounce of Carafa III or something like that.

Ah, that's so much easier.  :)

I knew what you meant even if you didn’t!

I know my Chimay colors man!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:17:24 pm »
As do I.... I thought it might just be a camera lighting thing, or a computer monitor variability thing?  But yeah I know what you mean.
Dave

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »
What was your approach on the recipe? Fermentation?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:04 pm »
Nothing too crazy

German Pils - 76.9%
Torrified Wheat - 7%
Cara 8 - 5.2%
Aromatic - 3.5%
Acid Malt - .4%
Candi Syrup D45 - 7%

1 oz EKG - 60 min
1.25 oz SG - 30 min

2 one month old smack packs of 1214

I pitched at 68°, oxygenated for 90 seconds, and then put it in the ferm freezer with the controller set to 66°.  I let it rise up to 72 over the next 3 days and finish out there before racking it to the serving keg with priming solution. 

My experience with 1214 is that it can throw more banana than I'm into, so I stopped using it for a while.  I'm not really sure why it worked out well this time.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 03:07:13 am »
Nothing too crazy

German Pils - 76.9%
Torrified Wheat - 7%
Cara 8 - 5.2%
Aromatic - 3.5%
Acid Malt - .4%
Candi Syrup D45 - 7%

1 oz EKG - 60 min
1.25 oz SG - 30 min

2 one month old smack packs of 1214

I pitched at 68°, oxygenated for 90 seconds, and then put it in the ferm freezer with the controller set to 66°.  I let it rise up to 72 over the next 3 days and finish out there before racking it to the serving keg with priming solution. 

My experience with 1214 is that it can throw more banana than I'm into, so I stopped using it for a while.  I'm not really sure why it worked out well this time.

Is that your typical fermentation schedule or did you change something this time about oxygenation, temperature or pitch rate?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:01 am »
Is that your typical fermentation schedule or did you change something this time about oxygenation, temperature or pitch rate?

Pretty typical

I usually pitch at 68°, hold it there for 24 to 48 hours, and then let it rise up into the low 70's.

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 11:17:14 am »

Pretty typical

I usually pitch at 68°, hold it there for 24 to 48 hours, and then let it rise up into the low 70's.

The reason I ask is that I've been doing a lot of research on ester synthesis and higher alcohol production, with Trappist yeast in particular being the driving force.

I have heard many people talk about the banana flavors they get from 1214 when fermenting at higher than normal (64 F) temperatures and I am always looking for data points to the contrary, especially since my own experience contradicts that.

Do you usually pitch 2 packs of yeast and aerate the same?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »
I have heard many people talk about the banana flavors they get from 1214 when fermenting at higher than normal (64 F) temperatures and I am always looking for data points to the contrary, especially since my own experience contradicts that.

Does it even ferment well at 64°?

Up until about a year ago, I made a yeast starter for every batch.  These days I will often just pitch 2 smack packs for a moderate gravity ale.  I do aerate the same.

This is definitely the best beer I've gotten with 1214.  I plan to use it some more.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 01:04:08 pm »

Does it even ferment well at 64°?

Up until about a year ago, I made a yeast starter for every batch.  These days I will often just pitch 2 smack packs for a moderate gravity ale.  I do aerate the same.

This is definitely the best beer I've gotten with 1214.  I plan to use it some more.

I always start fermentation of Chimay yeast at 63F.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell