Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lid off or on?  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: lid off or on?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
The one trouble I see with Brulosophy is the xbmts seem a little sloppy and are one-off, not repeated.  So, maybe like my experience today? Not proof, but reason to take a look and try something.  One cool thing about something like this forum is, that if one person sees something and tries it, then another and another, and everybody seems to agree on the value, you are starting to build up something like repeated experimental evidence.  Why I'm trying BTB for instance.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 07:07:28 pm »
I'm with ya. We're tracking. Brulosophy is what it is. They say so too. One of the reasons I like what they do is that it's thought provoking and you are encouraged to try for yourself. I could easily list some reasons to not like it, but that would be too easy.

I still have no clue how to compute a p value. Never will. Have no desire to.

Any who... sorry to derail.

Offline SpokaneDon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:01 am »
Interesting discussion on a topic I thought was not negotiable: always boil uncovered.  Next brew I'll leave the kettle covered for half of the 60 minute boil time.  Thanks to everyone for weighing in.
In the works: Sculpin IPA clone

On tap: citra ipa, Czech lager, pale ale, wedding stout

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 02:49:35 pm »
A few weeks ago, I went to a brew club meeting. There was a pro brewer amongst us. He brought some nice beers to taste.

When we were tasting everyone’s beer, one person poured a Kolsch (it was well made and tasted great). The pro brewer took a sip and scrunched up his face. He said to the guy who brought the Kolsch, “How long was your boil?”

The Kolsch brewer said “60 minutes.”

The pro brewer with his most professorial tone said, “Next time you should boil 90 minutes to avoid DMS.”

The Kolsch brewer double checked, “Do you taste DMS?”

The pro brewer responded “No.”

An awkward silence followed.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 02:52:08 pm »
Weigh yourself. Pee. Weigh yourself again. Subtract. Pee value.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 03:07:14 pm »
Weigh yourself. Pee. Weigh yourself again. Subtract. Pee value.
Thanks! Now it totally makes sense

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 04:49:36 pm »
The pro brewer with his most professorial tone said, “Next time you should boil 90 minutes to avoid DMS.”

The Kolsch brewer double checked, “Do you taste DMS?”

The pro brewer responded “No.”

An awkward silence followed.

There is a long history misinformation promolgated in the homebrewing world that makes its way to the Pro's. Remember, most of the craft brewers out there just matriculated into the pro ranks without any real brewing education or study. The information I presented earlier in this thread isn't groundbreaking, its just a simple parroting of existing technical brewing text and journal information.

However, there are cases where it might take 90 minutes (or more) to effectively reduce DMS content when brewing with high Pils content. The differentiator is the wort temperature and in most cases, that is determined by your elevation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 07:17:53 am »
I'm definitely trying this on my next brew. One of my biggest issues has always been trying to hit the "ideal" boil off amount, I was always well under that.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 07:30:48 am »
I'm definitely trying this on my next brew. One of my biggest issues has always been trying to hit the "ideal" boil off amount, I was always well under that.
That was me, this did the trick and more .  Just have to let go of all your conditioning.  A mere simmer and the lid on? Yep.  Shows once again that what "everybody knows" is probably wrong.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 08:14:04 am »
Brad Smith had a nice discussion on boiling with Charlie Bamforth on the BeerSmith podcast a few years ago.  He is not a fan of lid on or weak boil.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/03/01/boiling-home-brewed-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-121/

Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

Big Monk

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 08:16:22 am »
Brad Smith had a nice discussion on boiling with Charlie Bamforth on the BeerSmith podcast a few years ago.  He is not a fan of lid on or weak boil.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/03/01/boiling-home-brewed-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-121/

Charlie Bamforth has changed his tune on many things in the interim. His newer book "Freshness" is a must read.

Offline Nova_Jim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 11:00:41 am »
I have pdf copies of kunze if anyone wants

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Legal?

I don’t think so.

Hello, I'm new here and just saw this thread.  I have the lid on in the beginning to keep the bird droppings out of the wort.  Lid comes off 20 mins. before flame off and hope for no bird droppings.

Thx for removing link, didn't know it was an illegal download.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:09:24 am by Nova_Jim »

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 11:11:30 am »
My legal copy of Kunze is out for delivery, will be here shortly.  Don't be cheap and sleazy.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »
My legal copy of Kunze is out for delivery, will be here shortly.  Don't be cheap and sleazy.

I suggest you open straight away to chapter 3, and break out a highlighter. Also keep in mind how many times he talks about oxygen (or lack of)  ;)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:53 pm »
Years ago I submitted a beer to a competition, it got dinged for DMS.  Nobody but one judge tasted it, not even a pro brewer friend of mine but the damage was done.  Since then I almost never enter competitions and I designed my kettle so I couldn't put a lid on it if I wanted to.  I guess I'll do some work on my kettle this weekend so I can cover it.  One of my issues has always been the suicidal bees that end up in the kettle during cooling, it will be good to be allowed to cover my kettle!
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico