Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does a good batch of starsan have ANY taste?  (Read 6126 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Does a good batch of starsan have ANY taste?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:16 pm »
Now if you want to know what iodophor tastes like, you'll have to ask someone else.

It's great - reminds me of an Outward Bound trip where we had to sanitize all our drinking water (from various streams we would come across in the woods) with iodine drops.  After a while it really grows on you, especially when you drink nothing but water for 3 weeks.
There ya go! See, we don't ALL have to know everything. Each of us knows something! Yea!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:56 pm »
Now if you want to know what iodophor tastes like, you'll have to ask someone else.

It's great - reminds me of an Outward Bound trip where we had to sanitize all our drinking water (from various streams we would come across in the woods) with iodine drops.  After a while it really grows on you, especially when you drink nothing but water for 3 weeks.
That  Bizarre Food guy gets downright giddy when he finds some odd animal part that tastes like iodine.  He's pretty outward bound I guess.  So, which is worse? Star San or iodophor?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 06:21:54 am »
If you can taste the sanitizer you are not using enough hops

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 04:07:46 pm »
I have dry hopped my Star San for a particularly over the top IPA in the past...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
I have dry hopped my Star San for a particularly over the top IPA in the past...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Does not surprise me

Offline haeffnkr

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 05:46:37 pm »
Just for clarity, I'm only saying that I doubt it's a 1/4 cup of properly diluted starsan that is making 5 gallons of beer taste acidic or sour.
I've never put it to the test, but I've heard people who swear any amount will affect taste and avoid it as a no rinse altogether.  My concern in a keg would be that the foam is so durable, you wouldn't know just how much is really left on there. So youre right, could have beeb more than 1/4c.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
In the past I always poured out the starsan after a day or 2 of the keg being pressurized and then open transferred from the fermenter with a starsan rag over the lid opening.

this time I left it sealed, blew it out and transferred.
I am guessing at the amount.  I put in an inch or 2 in of starsan in the bottom of the keg, pressurized it and then next day I blew it out the liquid line. Some of my kegs have trimmed dip tubes as well.  So not sure of the amount but based on the beer sludge I see in the bottom of my empty kegs, maybe 1/4 cup?

I will experiment with some light beer and add starsan to it to see when I can start to taste it.

thanks haeffnkr

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »
I put in an inch or 2 in of starsan in the bottom of the keg, pressurized it and then next day I blew it out the liquid line. Some of my kegs have trimmed dip tubes as well.  So not sure of the amount but based on the beer sludge I see in the bottom of my empty kegs, maybe 1/4 cup?

In the future, you can just pressurize the keg, turn it upside down, and blow any remaining sanitizer out through the PRV.  Another option is to trim the gas dip tube so that it sits flush with the top of the keg, and blow the sanitizer out by inverting and depressing the poppet (or attach a gas disconnect).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Aksarben

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 09:35:32 pm »
I have 3 corny kegs of 3 gallons.  When finished with beer in them I open the lid in the bathroom and use very warm water and finally hot water from the bathtub faucet, rinse well, take off the dip tube and rinse hot water through it.  Then hold upside down and drain out nearly all the water.  In the kitchen I add about 1/2 cup of dilute Star San  (3ml / 64 fl oz ) into the keg, put the cap back on and roll it around a bit, moving Star San all over inside, bottom and top and then take the lid off and hold it upside down in the sink and drain out what Star San is in there, holding upside down for less than a minute.  Re-lid and while the gas release valve is held in UP position add CO2 for about 15 seconds, drop the gas relief valve back down to closed and shut off the gas to the keg.  It is now ready to receive some new beer, or store for a while.  Remember CO2 is heavier than air and can actually "sit" in a container until disturbed.  If filling from the bottom, the level of CO2 moves up the vessel still protecting the product with a blanket of CO2.
Vernon

Associate Winemaker, Fenn Valley Vineyards
Fennville, MI

I was born with nothing, and have managed to keep most of it.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:00 am »
Though this has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere, just a reminder that the notion that CO2 will "settle" and can be pushed up by filling from the bottom is entirely false.  Remember that by Dalton's and Henry's Laws CO2  and any other gases (air) with which it has an interface will quickly be completely mixed.  The only way to purge a keg is to fill it with liquid and drive this out with CO2.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.