Author Topic: Clean stout  (Read 475 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a Hoser
    • View Profile
Clean stout
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »
Want to brew a Stout that drinks easy, almost like a lager or crisp summer ale.  Any suggestions?
I like that. Hmm Hmm. "I don't know," that's nice. 'Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?' 'Gee Mr. Spicoli, I don't know.' That's nice, I really like that. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm going to leave your words on my board for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Spicoli.

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
Re: Clean stout
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »
St Paddy's day just around the corner, right?

My thought would be, if you have a stout recipe you like, keep all the grains and hops in proportion,  but scale everything down to a low gravity.  I believe the Guinness you get in the pubs in Ireland is about 3.5% abv.  And it drinks very easy.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Clean stout
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
Though I’ve not brewed this beer, here’s an idea to look into: https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-dry-irish-stout/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:55:45 PM by BrewBama »
Huntsville AL

Offline SpokaneDon

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »
I was going to say the same thing as BrewBama.  Brad Smith's dry Irish stout recipe has worked out well for me.  Here's a link to the Brewsmith format recipe for that stout.   http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/654/beersmiths-dry-irish-stout

In the works: Sculpin IPA clone

On tap: citra ipa, Czech lager, pale ale, wedding stout

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »
That's a pretty classic recipe posted. But if you are asking for a "Stout that drinks like a lager" it sounds to me that you are really looking for a Schwarzbier.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
Aside from Guinness clones, this is the most easy-drinking Stout recipe I've brewed:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.nl/2013/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1923-courage-stout.html

That being said, it needs that English yeast fruityness, so it's certainly not lager clean. However, lowering the final gravity and serving on cask/low carbonation made for a dry beer that didn't linger on the palette at all. Nice and crisp.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.