Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water pH off  (Read 7797 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Bru'n Water pH off
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2018, 12:36:38 pm »
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/finished-ph-of-a-pilsner-or-gold-lager.465122/  I don't recall any particular cite just something I picked up from following AJ.  Not gonna dispute that there are 2 systems but you can successfully use one approach for both.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2018, 12:52:16 pm »
I repitch pale lagers for at least 15 generations (34/70) and they always finish at pH 4.3, first to last. This has been the case with both treated city water and water built from RO.   Variation in mash and wort pH seems to bear no relation to this consistent final beer pH. MBAA has listed 3.8-4.7 as acceptable pH range for US lager beers, 4.2 average.

My electrode failed before I could test any lagers but that is surprising to me since I generally think lager yeast is a low acid producer.  JT brought it up but basically I am of the opinion that additional acid is typically required to get that low.  There are a few strains that "work" but many do not.  Chico is well known for this and the reason why SN acidifies all their water and mash at 5.1.

I remember them saying acidified to 5.5 pH using phosphoric acid. Gordon Strong says he does that on Page 11 of “Modern Homebrew Recipes”, and he got that technique fron Sierra Nevada. That gets his pale beers to 5.1-5.3 pH.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2018, 01:36:14 pm »
I be tried this numerous times and have found no direct causation between wort pH and final beer pH. I believe final beer pH is largely determined by aspects of fermentation. Yeast strain, growth, etc.

I have my doubts that very many commercial breweries are acidifying/adjusting pH in the final beer. However, I would not be surprised if Strong does it, or used to. He has said on podcasts that, during his medaling spree, he would blend beers to perfectly hit the guidelines  (he wrote). And so, why not also adjust pH to taste?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:40:21 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2018, 04:20:44 pm »
 Kunze says lagers should come in at pH 4.2-4.3. (Any lower will have an unpleasant taste.) Wort pH is typically 5.2-5.3, and these figures hold for my pale lagers. 

pH drops most during the early and logarithmic growth phases of yeast, so healthy yeast and a proper pitching rate (do not overpitch!) will promote adequate pH drop to facilitate precipitation of colloidal haze, smooth taste, rapid maturing, and long term stability.  No adjustment is necessary.  Healthy yeast BTW means harvested yeast IME.  New cultures and starters are ill adapted to actual fermentation conditions.

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.