Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to calculate Kettle volume  (Read 3239 times)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
How to calculate Kettle volume
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:07 pm »
I'm trying to find the equation to calculate the height of volume in my kettle.  I'm trying to figure out what size wort chiller will work.  I know how to calculate the total volume of a kettle, just don't know how to calculate the height of the liquid in the kettle.  For example, if I put 1 gallon of water in a 3 gallon kettle, the water height is 2.94 inches.  I don't want to keep running to my computer to use the calculator, which won't show the equation. And I don't want to keep multiplying the number of gallons I pour in a kettle by 2.94 inches, because I know that's 1 gallon, but that will change depending on the size of the kettle. 

Big Monk

Re: How to calculate Kettle volume
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »
I'm trying to find the equation to calculate the height of volume in my kettle.  I'm trying to figure out what size wort chiller will work.  I know how to calculate the total volume of a kettle, just don't know how to calculate the height of the liquid in the kettle.  For example, if I put 1 gallon of water in a 3 gallon kettle, the water height is 2.94 inches.  I don't want to keep running to my computer to use the calculator, which won't show the equation. And I don't want to keep multiplying the number of gallons I pour in a kettle by 2.94 inches, because I know that's 1 gallon, but that will change depending on the size of the kettle.

You assume a perfect cylinder:

V = (PI) * (r^2) * h

Rearranging  you get:

h = V / (PI) * (r^2)

So:

h (in) = Vwort (gallons) / 3.14159265359 * (r (in) ^2) * 0.004329

The 0.004329 factor converts cubic inches to gallons. Alternately, if using liters and cm, you use 0.001.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:32:19 pm by Big Monk »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:13:41 pm »

You assume a perfect cylinder:

V = (PI) * (r^2) * h

Rearranging  you get:

h = V / (PI) * (r^2)

So:

h (in) = Vwort (gallons) / 3.14159265359 * (r (in) ^2) * 0.004329

The 0.004329 factor converts cubic inches to gallons. Alternately, if using liters and cm, you use 0.001.
Life is so much simpler with metric

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »

...And so much more difficult either way when pi is involved.  Not much we can do about that!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:20:37 pm »

...And so much more difficult either way when pi is involved.  Not much we can do about that!  :)
If you type pi in the Google bar it will do the math for you

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 03:21:18 pm »

If you type pi in the Google bar it will do the math for you

Most calculators have pi as well

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:54:09 pm »
Thank you very much for the information.  My wife came home from work and conducted a class on how to calculate everything.  I think she should be making the beer, and I'll drink it.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:57 am »
A wide open kettle isn't that hard to calculate the heights for various volumes, but for those of you with extra stuff in the kettle like a chilling loop, then the only manageable way is to find a suitable small container (gallon jug) and calibrate that container to verify that filling the container to a certain level gives you the volume of liquid that you expect. (a gallon of water weighs 3785 grams)

Then you start adding containers of water, one by one to enable you to mark or measure what the depth is for that volume.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 03:17:03 pm »
A wide open kettle isn't that hard to calculate the heights for various volumes, but for those of you with extra stuff in the kettle like a chilling loop, then the only manageable way is to find a suitable small container (gallon jug) and calibrate that container to verify that filling the container to a certain level gives you the volume of liquid that you expect. (a gallon of water weighs 3785 grams)

Then you start adding containers of water, one by one to enable you to mark or measure what the depth is for that volume.
Since my kettle isn't cylindrical, this is the method I'd prefer.  I got an old hockey stick, added a gallon, and put a line with a Sharpie just above the wet spot,  added another gallon and another line...
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví