Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Instant Pot for pressurized hop tea?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline danryankc

• 1st Kit
Using Instant Pot for pressurized hop tea?
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:51 am »
Like many others, I received an Instant Pot recently. Of course, my imagination turned toward "How can I use this in homebrewing?".

In a nutshell, the instant pot is an electric pressure cooker. It has a lid that seals at the start of a boil, and then you can cook something under pressure, which raises the temperature and hastens the time to cook your pot roast.

What about hops? It seems to me that putting a couple ounces of hops in an instant pot with a cup or two of water and cooking it under pressure could produce some interesting results. Since the cooking occurs in a sealed unit, I wonder if maybe, just maybe, some of the aromatics that we normally boil off might be retained and reabsorbed into the tea? My guess is that it would also extract bitterness more quickly and completely than a typical boil.

I'm looking forward to doing some experimentation, but I wondered if anyone here has tried this or something similar?

Offline danryankc

• 1st Kit
Re: Using Instant Pot for pressurized hop tea?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:00:17 am »
Here is an article about the I'm also curious about the quality of the bitterness, flavor and aroma. Will it add a vegetal flavor - particularly if I let it go too long? Will it preserve or degrade taste and aroma? I'm not much of an experimenter, but I might have to split a simple batch into a bunch of growlers and do some comparison brewing.on brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/bittering-hops-in-15-minutes.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:27:04 am »
If you want to make a hop tea, I don't see why you couldn't do it like that.  But I'm not a fan of hop teas.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline danryankc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:28:46 am »
Why not? I've never used them - what are the negatives?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:29:53 am »
Why not? I've never used them - what are the negatives?

Harsh, vegetal, totally disgusting.  I know there are people who like and use them, but my experience with them has been completely negative.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:56:25 am »
The article is about partial boil DEM brewing in a pressure cooker