Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hitting Cruise Control  (Read 4579 times)

Online mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Hitting Cruise Control
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
There is a bit of caution that could be inferred from Jim and Derek's experiences. Both were striving pretty diligently at 'perfection' and had to back off. While I would love to create and drink perfect beer, I realized a long time ago that its almost folly. I'm glad that both of these guys are still at it, but don't overlook the good while seeking perfection.

If you get too serious, you might overlook the joy of brewing. These examples scream of 'Relax, don't worry....'
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »
There is a bit of caution that could be inferred from Jim and Derek's experiences. Both were striving pretty diligently at 'perfection' and had to back off. While I would love to create and drink perfect beer, I realized a long time ago that its almost folly. I'm glad that both of these guys are still at it, but don't overlook the good while seeking perfection.

You know, I apply that philosophy to my car hobby, but never thought to do so with beer. When I first got into cars, I had to have everything perfect. Go into replacing a part with a perfect knowledge of how to do it, find the perfect shocks, and so on. Needless to say it wasn't much fun, and I was easily frustrated. Since then I've become more than ok with "good enough". The internet show Roadkill showed me that it really doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. (And also I was hanging out with the wrong (high dollar) car crowd, I don't have road course money.) Now I don't sweat it when things aren't perfect, and I have a far more enjoyable time working on cars. Taking things slow and figuring out how to to be good enough when ideal isn't doable is enjoyable.

I never thought about applying the same mindset to brewing. Thanks!
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 05:24:50 pm »

If you get too serious, you might overlook the joy of brewing. These examples scream of 'Relax, don't worry....'
Wise man here!

Big Monk

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 06:53:27 pm »

Just to be clear: my hiatus has nothing to do with burnout. If I had the time between work, family (my kids are 2 and 4), and looking for a new house, I’d be brewing at least once a week.

I’m still striving for and pursuing the background stuff (blog, articles, spreadsheet, simplified Low Oxygen small batch rig) and I haven’t lost the desire or the drive to keep talking about and enacting the methods.

For me, the joy of brewing IS getting lost in the weeds in trying to perfect the Trappist beers I love. It’s actually the opposite of burnout. I’m overflowing with ideas and the desire to do it but time is a limiting factor. As a guy who prides himself on trying to be the best Dad, taking 3-4 hours straight plus cleanup on a weekend even monthly was conflicting with other things.

Brewing has never worried me one bit.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:49 pm »

Just to be clear: my hiatus has nothing to do with burnout. If I had the time between work, family (my kids are 2 and 4), and looking for a new house, I’d be brewing at least once a week.

Having just moved, good luck to you. That's something I never want to have to do again.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
So I just had the most relaxing and relaxed brew day (morning really) in a long time.  Kept it simple. Simple water locked in the pH (yeah I made the usual notes but maybe now I won't need to check things like that except for a totally new style.) Simple mash (153°F and mash off) gave a wort of superior quality and the usual yield.  Went back to FWH so I could walk away and forget about most of the boil. I actually think this might be the best beer I have made in a long time,  and most importantly, it was really fun again! Next stress reducer: I'm going to quit filtering my beer. Heck, I know it's clear and clean enough after lagering, I'm just wasting my time and stripping my beer.   I just cut an inch off the dip tubes in my lagering kegs and made a jumper from spare tubing and parts! Thanks to Jim for his original post.
You are most welcome. We may end up with an Alice's Restaurant type movement here!
So I've thought some more. I'm not going to quit filtering, at least now.  It's such a reflex thing it's not much hassle. And I'd maybe want to replace it with fining or longer cold storage.  Hassle.  My worry with it was O2 pickup (and I do believe in that post fermentation). I just got carbonation lids for my serving kegs, so I can easily better deaerate  the water I flush my filter with.  It's still all about finding what puts your mind at ease. I don't really have to change this part of my routine much to feel better about it. Maybe I was closer to cruise control than I realized!  Cruise control for that VW microbus...happy happy new year! 🍻
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:03 am »
So I just had the most relaxing and relaxed brew day (morning really) in a long time.  Kept it simple. Simple water locked in the pH (yeah I made the usual notes but maybe now I won't need to check things like that except for a totally new style.) Simple mash (153°F and mash off) gave a wort of superior quality and the usual yield.  Went back to FWH so I could walk away and forget about most of the boil. I actually think this might be the best beer I have made in a long time,  and most importantly, it was really fun again! Next stress reducer: I'm going to quit filtering my beer. Heck, I know it's clear and clean enough after lagering, I'm just wasting my time and stripping my beer.   I just cut an inch off the dip tubes in my lagering kegs and made a jumper from spare tubing and parts! Thanks to Jim for his original post.
You are most welcome. We may end up with an Alice's Restaurant type movement here!
So I've thought some more. I'm not going to quit filtering, at least now.  It's such a reflex thing it's not much hassle. And I'd maybe want to replace it with fining or longer cold storage.  Hassle.  My worry with it was O2 pickup (and I do believe in that post fermentation). I just got carbonation lids for my serving kegs, so I can easily better deaerate  the water I flush my filter with.  It's still all about finding what puts your mind at ease. I don't really have to change this part of my routine much to feel better about it. Maybe I was closer to cruise control than I realized!  Cruise control for that VW microbus...happy happy new year! 🍻
Second thoughts, then third.  I didn't filter this batch after all. Got up early, decided to just jump it over and see how it goes.  Looks perfectly clear. (Didn't even have trimmed  dip tube.)  Now it's carbonating on my new carbonation lid.  Wow, that was easy.  Can't wait to blow a keg and put this on!  Really cruisin'.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 10:08:55 am »
So I've thought some more. I'm not going to quit filtering, at least now.  It's such a reflex thing it's not much hassle. And I'd maybe want to replace it with fining or longer cold storage.  Hassle.  My worry with it was O2 pickup (and I do believe in that post fermentation). I just got carbonation lids for my serving kegs, so I can easily better deaerate  the water I flush my filter with.  It's still all about finding what puts your mind at ease. I don't really have to change this part of my routine much to feel better about it. Maybe I was closer to cruise control than I realized!  Cruise control for that VW microbus...happy happy new year!
OK Robert,

I’m falling for it, why do I want a carbonation lid?  Is it for faster carbonation?  Will the stone create a better foam bubble? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 10:10:27 am »
Never mind I reread you post. It is for your water correct?

Jeff B

Offline Robert

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 11:33:04 am »
Never mind I reread you post. It is for your water correct?

I was going to use it to deaerate flush water if I filtered, but I got it (them) for carbonating.  It's a corny lid with a gas post on top, a barb inside, a tube hangs a stone at the bottom of the keg.  I don't think the quality of carbonation is any different than any other force method.  I've always been a crank-and-shake guy.  My back is getting too old for shaking kegs!  I tried a stone on a tube on the gas-in years ago, carbed great, but causes foaming in the keg on dispense.  So the need for a separate gas post.  I just don't do the slow force because I believe once the beer is fermented, lagered and off the yeast, it's time to carb and drink.  As I say, it's not ageing, just getting old. (The method is you set pressure at 2psi, leave it a few minutes,  and ramp by 2psi increments at intervals of a few minutes until seving pressure is reached and you no longer hear gas being admitted.  Switch gas to regular post.)

Carbonation Keg Lid,Ferroday Stainless Steel Carbonation lid With 0.5 Micron Diffusion Air Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M335AXA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Edited to clarify method
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:00:06 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 11:15:13 am »
I totally get the need to take a step back from time to time.  I've been brewing for a little over 10 years, and am on a hiatus right now that will probably go another 30-45 days.  This break started with my wish to make my brew day more fun.  In my case, that means building an indoor electric brewery in a dedicated space in my basement.  Why?  Well, I brew all year-round and don't enjoy brewing as much in the summer when it's hot & humid or in the winter when it's frigid outside.  As well, the set-up and tear-down each time I brew, and schlepping gear, supplies, and fermenters to/from the basement has lost its charm as I've gotten older.

So, I've undertaken a pretty big remodel of the basement - including adding a 1/2-bath and relocating the laundry  area.  And, to keep myself on track, I've committed not to brew again until I can brew on the new system.  Though I haven't brewed for a couple months, the end of the project is in sight and I'm excited to brew the first few batches on the new system.  It'll be fun learning the new system and interesting to see how much I end up tweaking my established recipes.

I'm not so much simplifying the brewing process (I'm staying with a 3-vessel HERMS system) as I am streamlining the brew day by eliminating or changing a lot of the stuff mentioned above.   No more enduring the heat or cold, or battling the wind.  I'll be able to brew, ferment, package and serve all on one level of the house.  Heck - I might even be able to do a batch on a weeknight after work (that might be wishful thinking).

All that said, thanks to Jim for bringing up the topic.  I find that I often appreciate things more after being away from them for a while.

Prost!
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:42 am »
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:13 am »

I've got about 3 basic go-to recipes, each with slight variations to scratch that itch. APA/IPA, Stout, Festbeir.

Well, I must be back into brewing. Since this post I've added three or four new-to-me yeasts, started brewing big beers, using a technique I didn't know existed, and now currently have 4 batches of styles I have never brewed before. My upcoming recipe list has grown to
2nd attempt Imperial Stout
American BW
English Stout, Pale, and IPA
Saison
And a summer beer inspired by Cape Kiwanda that I'm going to call Palesner, lol

Fun times!

Offline Robert

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:38 am »

I've got about 3 basic go-to recipes, each with slight variations to scratch that itch. APA/IPA, Stout, Festbeir.

Well, I must be back into brewing. Since this post I've added three or four new-to-me yeasts, started brewing big beers, using a technique I didn't know existed, and now currently have 4 batches of styles I have never brewed before. My upcoming recipe list has grown to
2nd attempt Imperial Stout
American BW
English Stout, Pale, and IPA
Saison
And a summer beer inspired by Cape Kiwanda that I'm going to call Palesner, lol

Fun times!
Platform Brewing in Cleveland has "New Cleveland Palesner!"  Pils malt, Galena and Saaz, Voss Kveik yeast.  Enjoyable beer.
EDIT had to look up Kiwanda.  New Cleveland Palesner is 5% abv and 23IBU, looks like you're all on the same page!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:42:42 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio