Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna Malt in a pilsner??  (Read 3144 times)

Offline JD5055

• 1st Kit
Vienna Malt in a pilsner??
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:48 am »
Due to a last minute change of mind in what I wanted to brew. I ended up sending a grain order of 90% German Pilsner  and 10% German Vienna to my LHBS, which my wife picked up for me. I have a Pilsner yeast. What will the added Vienna do to a Pilsner? Should I just brew it or should I pick up a different yeast and brew a different style. I'm fairly new to all grain brewing and appreciate any help/suggestions.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Vienna Malt in a pilsner??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:16:38 am »
If you are ready to brew, then brew it. The Vienna will add some color, and a little toasty flavor. If you want to determine what it does on your system and process, brew a Pilsner with 100% Pils malt and compare. Take good tasting notes on both beers if the second is brewed much later.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Vienna Malt in a pilsner??
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
Due to a last minute change of mind in what I wanted to brew. I ended up sending a grain order of 90% German Pilsner  and 10% German Vienna to my LHBS, which my wife picked up for me. I have a Pilsner yeast. What will the added Vienna do to a Pilsner? Should I just brew it or should I pick up a different yeast and brew a different style. I'm fairly new to all grain brewing and appreciate any help/suggestions.

If you are ready to brew, then brew it. The Vienna will add some color, and a little toasty flavor. If you want to determine what it does on your system and process, brew a Pilsner with 100% Pils malt and compare. Take good tasting notes on both beers if the second is brewed much later.

Add the Vienna, and in another batch go 80/20. I have been playing with Munich this way. I was gifted 4 55lb bags of Munich and have been making SmaSh beers. You may find that you really enjoy Vienna. I know I do.
The yeast is going to do what it’s going to do to your wort, add a lil flava.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."