Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gold Rush Toasted Pale Malt  (Read 1936 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Gold Rush Toasted Pale Malt
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:59 pm »
Has anyone brewed with this ingredient? I haven't been able to find anything about it, but it sells for $75/50 lbs at my LHBS ($15 more than golden promise and twice as much as GW malts). 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gold Rush Toasted Pale Malt
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:55:43 am »
Has anyone brewed with this ingredient? I haven't been able to find anything about it, but it sells for $75/50 lbs at my LHBS ($15 more than golden promise and twice as much as GW malts).

I may have but under andifferent name.  They gave me some of what Tom calls "Eureka" malt and it appears to be about the same.  I've used both that along with pils and pale ale malt from Gold Rush and they've all been excellent.  Between them and Mecca Grade, I'm developing a real fondness for Full Pint barley.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:53:48 am »
Between them and Mecca Grade, I'm developing a real fondness for Full Pint barley.

Denny, would you consider GR fundamentally different from other full pint base malts? Do you recall if it was in the 1-2º L or 3-4º L range?

The first "full pint" I got was from Great Western and I was not a fan (and I love GW's pale and "pale ale" 2-row). I tried Mecca Grade and liked it all right, but found it overpriced at nearly double the price of imported base malt and triple the price of domestic. I haven't tried Gold Rush yet, but wondered if it was more akin to a British base malt or a domestic 2-row. I can't seem to find a malt analysis anywhere and the website is pretty barren. The name they use at Steinbart's ("toasted pale") implies that it is somehow differently-processed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:04:54 am »
Between them and Mecca Grade, I'm developing a real fondness for Full Pint barley.

Denny, would you consider GR fundamentally different from other full pint base malts? Do you recall if it was in the 1-2º L or 3-4º L range?

The first "full pint" I got was from Great Western and I was not a fan (and I love GW's pale and "pale ale" 2-row). I tried Mecca Grade and liked it all right, but found it overpriced at nearly double the price of imported base malt and triple the price of domestic. I haven't tried Gold Rush yet, but wondered if it was more akin to a British base malt or a domestic 2-row. I can't seem to find a malt analysis anywhere and the website is pretty barren. The name they use at Steinbart's ("toasted pale") implies that it is somehow differently-processed.

If you don't care for Full Pint you probably won't care for GR.  It's different than MG, but not a world of difference.  Still has the Full Pint flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:02 pm »
How do we source MG?

Edit: never mind, I figured it out
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:41:58 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:27 pm »
Ok, so I finally brewed this beer. What had been planned as 5.5 gallons of 1.048 beer ended up with a 1.060 OG and 4.5 gallons of finished beer because I wasn't really watching my boil vigor and it had been a long time since I'd brewed a 1-keg batch in warm weather (this was brewed on a particularly warm day in January). Anyway, this was the recipe:

10 lbs GR Toasted Pale Malt
2 lbs Mecca Grade Wickiup Wheat Malt
7 oz Acidulated Malt

3 mL hop shot 60 mins
1 oz Cascade (9.3% aa) 10 mins
2 oz Eureka (~18% aa) whirlpool/hop steep @ ~170F
3 oz Eureka dry

Hochkurz no-sparge 144/158F.

Imperial A38 Juice

Dry hops added one day after krausen fell.

The malt character is, frankly, pretty neutral. The color is probably lighter than GW pale ale malt and darker than GW 2-row. The hop aroma is the standout for this beer, and the malt doesn't fight it. All in all, it's a fine malt for a hoppy beer, but not necessarily worth paying twice as much for as GW. Eureka is a great hop, btw (mango and pine are the main aromatic notes I get).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:15:52 pm by skyler »