Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maris Otter  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Maris Otter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:57 am »
Don't forget Thomas Fawcett, they've been my go-to for a while. To me, Crisp has been the most disappointing, their Maris Otter comes off as muddy, likely a result of their blending. Their specialty malts weren't anything to write home about either.

It's possible I didn't have great examples, but again, Fawcett has never disappointed me. Supposedly their Maris Otter wasn't blended back when Crisp was doing so. (Don't know the current state of protein in MO, so i don't know if Crisp is still blending.)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:36:50 am »
Muntons also blends, for a premium you can get 100% MO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:32:56 am »
Muntons also blends, for a premium you can get 100% MO.

FWIW Fawcett may as well, I've been out of the loop a while.

Personally, I rarely ever use 100% Maris Otter as a base malt. I find blending MO with other pale malt varieties (Perl, optic, stout malt, etc) to make for better beers. So I'm not opposed to blending MO, I just feel that whatever Crisp blended their Maris Otter with was a poor choice.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:20 pm »
Don't forget Thomas Fawcett, they've been my go-to for a while.
Yes, I really like TF MO too.  But all *Phils* must think alike, and of course correctly...I also rarely(never) use it 100%.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »
You were peeking, weren't you?  Yeah, local is Grape & Granary.  Not so local is Label Peelers and now I've got to try Vine n Hop.
Yep, G&G is local, I've still never checked out Label Peelers.   Vine n Hop is nice, their prices are a little steep next to G&G, but they have a pretty wide selection of malts.  If I want something different I often go there and the price washes out when I save shipping!

I visited Label Peelers a couple years ago lured by the low prices on hops. I was surprised when we walked back into the shipping area and there were 6 or 7 pallets stacked with boxes of hops. The bulk (volume) explained the low prices but what surprised me was that they were not refrigerated. Just sitting in the 60-65 degree warehouse. I don't mean to bash them because walk in coolers are not cheap to install or run, just want to inform anyone who expects their ingredients to be stored in the best conditions possible prior to use.

"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:58 pm »
You were peeking, weren't you?  Yeah, local is Grape & Granary.  Not so local is Label Peelers and now I've got to try Vine n Hop.
Yep, G&G is local, I've still never checked out Label Peelers.   Vine n Hop is nice, their prices are a little steep next to G&G, but they have a pretty wide selection of malts.  If I want something different I often go there and the price washes out when I save shipping!

I visited Label Peelers a couple years ago lured by the low prices on hops. I was surprised when we walked back into the shipping area and there were 6 or 7 pallets stacked with boxes of hops. The bulk (volume) explained the low prices but what surprised me was that they were not refrigerated. Just sitting in the 60-65 degree warehouse. I don't mean to bash them because walk in coolers are not cheap to install or run, just want to inform anyone who expects their ingredients to be stored in the best conditions possible prior to use.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 02:30:17 pm »
Don't forget Thomas Fawcett, they've been my go-to for a while. To me, Crisp has been the most disappointing, their Maris Otter comes off as muddy, likely a result of their blending. Their specialty malts weren't anything to write home about either.

It's possible I didn't have great examples, but again, Fawcett has never disappointed me. Supposedly their Maris Otter wasn't blended back when Crisp was doing so. (Don't know the current state of protein in MO, so i don't know if Crisp is still blending.)

Thomas Fawcett isn't available locally and I'm not going to pay the shipping for grains.  Otherwise, I've love to try that brand.  As it is, I went to Vine n Hop today and picked up a bag of Simpson's Maris Otter.  On top of that, they give a 10% discount on grains, hops, and dry yeast to AHA members.

Probably just me being a jerk, but I've had some issues with Label Peelers so they are just about at the bottom of my options.  For any equipment, if I can't get it at G&G, I'll search the net.  I have gotten hops from Yakama Valley but for grains and yeast I stick to what's locally available.  This is why I was so glad to see another option for the Maris Otter.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 02:58:41 pm »
Dave, sounds like our preferences are shaking out about the same.  G&G if possible for grain and yeast, and I'm buying more and more stuff online (just ordered a super bargain gallon of iodophor with free shipping!)  For hops check out Ted Hausotter on E-bay.  Seriously. Denny and lots of others on the forum alerted me to this guy.  Personally selects lots from growers and pelletizes them himself. Best hops ever.  (I also have had good luck with Hops Direct/Puterbaugh Farms -- their packages are usually overweight!) 

Glad you made it to Vine and Hop.  What did you think in general?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 03:27:13 pm »
I was impressed.  Nice and open, fairly well organized.  They seemed to have most of what you'll need.  I wasn't checking prices since there's only so much space in my tiny little head.  And I just realized I needed Campdon tablets and I forgot all about them.  I really like G&G but it's nice to have options, too!
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »
I was impressed.  Nice and open, fairly well organized.  They seemed to have most of what you'll need.  I wasn't checking prices since there's only so much space in my tiny little head.  And I just realized I needed Campdon tablets and I forgot all about them.  I really like G&G but it's nice to have options, too!
Yeah it's a nice alternative since they overlap but don't have the exact same line of equipment or ingredients.  But  note that AHA discount only applies to ingredients.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »
I recently had some Crisp Chevallier Heritage malt I used in an ordinary bitter.  It was fantastic, but I don't know how available it is....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"