Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bitterness in IPAs  (Read 1639 times)

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Bitterness in IPAs
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:33:38 am »
I'm wondering how to get that slow moving bitterness that creeps up on you and bites you on the back end? In most of my IPAs the bitterness is quite upfront, but I'd like to know how to get that bitterness to be a little more delayed?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bitterness in IPAs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:36:28 am »
A good 60 minute addition and get the sulfates up above 150 ppm. I am targeting 200 ppm SO4 for my bitter IPAs and PAs now. I used to use 350, that is too much for me now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:53:02 am »
Agreed with the above. Also, mashing around 5.4 pH is said to enhance hop character. Having slightly elevated Mg content is also said to enhance bitterness per Brunwater. I keep mine no more than around 15ppm. More is definitely not better here.

Edit - Also, bittering with a hop like Columbus gives an IPA the assertive bitterness you're looking for, whereas a hop like Magnum might give the same IBU number in software but taste much less assertive.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:56:31 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
Bitterness in IPAs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 03:50:47 pm »
Thank you! I have recently only been doing 30min boils with 15min and less hop additions so will try 60mins with a solid American hop. My sulphate levels are always at around 300ppm for IPAs so I think I’m good there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:03:28 am »
I'm wondering how to get that slow moving bitterness that creeps up on you and bites you on the back end? In most of my IPAs the bitterness is quite upfront, but I'd like to know how to get that bitterness to be a little more delayed?
Have you tried adding a sprinkle of cal chloride to your beer (in the glass) and see if it helps delay the bite. You may just want to bump up your chloride a bit.
I use 45-50 ppm chloride and IMO I get a smooth biterness up front and bite in the back. My sulfate is also @ 300ppm.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:09 am »
curtdogg, my water profile is the same as yours. I don't plan on changing it either. I personally like slightly more specialty malts in this style of beer to mellow out the high hop bitterness. I use honey malt, munich and biscuit, not all in the same recipe though.