Author Topic: flaked maize  (Read 310 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Cellarman
  • Gozer is a Hoser
    • View Profile
flaked maize
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
Used flaked maize for the first time, 10% of the recipe. The wort looked a bit clumpy, sort of like a vat of french fry grease.   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:50:45 PM by Pope of Dope »
I like that. Hmm Hmm. "I don't know," that's nice. 'Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?' 'Gee Mr. Spicoli, I don't know.' That's nice, I really like that. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm going to leave your words on my board for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Spicoli.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: flaked maize
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »
Was this an all-grain beer or did you use it as a steeping grain in an extract batch? Flaked maize hasn't had its starches converted and needs to be mashed. I would imagine that it might dissolve to glop if you attempted to steep it in an extract wort.

I use flaked maize in close to half of my beers and have never run into this issue.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pope of Dope

• Cellarman
  • Gozer is a Hoser
    • View Profile
Re: flaked maize
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
It's all grain, 12lbs of 2 row and 1.25lbs flaked maize. This morning the beer looks much better in the carboy. I did a 90 mn mash BIAB.
I like that. Hmm Hmm. "I don't know," that's nice. 'Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?' 'Gee Mr. Spicoli, I don't know.' That's nice, I really like that. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm going to leave your words on my board for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Spicoli.