Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ball valves  (Read 3097 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ball valves
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:46:20 am »
What is your routine for disassemble and clean/sanitize brewery ball valves? between each brew? other schedule(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Ball valves
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:36:44 am »
Probable twice a year for me, as they're stuck a pain to work on. I just make sure the boil kettle valve gets good and hot and pray that's enough to sanitize it.

I intend to upgrade to the Blichman linear flow valve everywhere, it disassembles easily.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:31 am »
I blast hot water through them immediately after every batch, and try and soak them in PBW/star san every few. I'd like to switch to a valve I could disassemble, but that seems like a lower priority right now.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:13 am »
I flush my mash tun valve.

I recirculate hot oxyclean through my pump and boil kettle valves, then rinse, then starsan.

Normally disassemble and clean ever 4-6 brews. But I'm replacing my ball valves with 3 peice ball valves, which will be cleaned every brew day. The gunk I find when I take apart the old ones grosses me out. Never had a problem, and the beers made right after thorough cleaning are no different, but... freaks me out and probably a matter of time.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:44 am »
I flush my mash tun valve.

I recirculate hot oxyclean through my pump and boil kettle valves, then rinse, then starsan.

Normally disassemble and clean ever 4-6 brews. But I'm replacing my ball valves with 3 piece ball valves, which will be cleaned every brew day. The gunk I find when I take apart the old ones grosses me out. Never had a problem, and the beers made right after thorough cleaning are no different, but... freaks me out and probably a matter of time.

I finally ended up with a three-piece ball valve, and I hate the thing. The bolts are so close to the main body of the valve that you have to use an open-end wrenches to get them apart. Takes forever. The two piece ones are simpler, but I've encountered ones that weren't possibly to loosen without wrecking them.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:42 am »
Ones I got don't look too bad. Hold with open end, zip off with nut driver

Offline BrewBama

Ball valves
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:09:13 am »
The 3-piece I have on my MLT is the motivation behind the question. I prefer the 2-piece on my BK for ease of disassembly/assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:10:43 am »
Mine cam on an SS Brewtech Kettle. There is only enough space for the head of the bolt to rotate, can't get a socket on it. Glad not all of them are that way.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
I typically clean the 3-piece valves on my fermenter after about 3 uses. The 2-piece valves on my pump are never cleaned since they only deal with hot-side.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:34 pm »
Don't clean valves at all!  Don't use ball valves!

I've been using these as valves on the outlet from my kettle and the two outlets from my pump for two years.  Works great on silicone hose and nothing to clean.  $1.99

https://www.homebrewing.org/Large-Siphon-Hose-Shut-off-Clamp_p_4872.html

Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline BrewBama

Ball valves
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »
I cleaned mine the other day and they were clean as a whistle. It’s been several brews so the motivation behind the question was to try to gauge how often others open them up. The clamp idea is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 10:39:47 am »
I clean them maybe once a year.  There's never much gunk in them when I open them up.  If there was, I'd do it more often.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 11:41:55 am »
I clean them maybe once a year.  There's never much gunk in them when I open them up.  If there was, I'd do it more often.

same here;  once I started slowly opening and closing the valves (to get behind the ball assembly) during cleaning of the vessel they are attached to, I noticed they stay pretty clean.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:10 am »

I've been using these as valves on the outlet from my kettle and the two outlets from my pump for two years.  Works great on silicone hose and nothing to clean.  $1.99

I have two mash tuns, one with a valve and one where I use a hose and a clamp.  The hose and clamp works far better than the valve and was so much easier to assemble it made me angry that I wasted time putting a ball valve on the other.

However, for my kettle, I don't see any other option than a ball valve.  I'd be afraid the hose and clamp would melt clean off while I'm boiling.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 09:24:48 am »

I have two mash tuns, one with a valve and one where I use a hose and a clamp.  The hose and clamp works far better than the valve and was so much easier to assemble it made me angry that I wasted time putting a ball valve on the other.

However, for my kettle, I don't see any other option than a ball valve.  I'd be afraid the hose and clamp would melt clean off while I'm boiling.
How about a longer nipple, Joe? Get your tubing away from the flame