Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding half of extract as flameout?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline BBShop10r

• 1st Kit
Adding half of extract as flameout?
« on: February 01, 2018, 10:57:03 am »
I'm a new AHA member, with 5 extract batches with steeped grains under my belt.  I tried searching for this question, but didn't find it.  I apologize if I missed it.

I was perusing the Beginner and Intermediate Brewing instructions and tips and noticed that it indicates adding half the extract early in the boil and the other half at flameout.  The Midwest Supplies kits I've been brewing so far have specified adding all the malt early.  Why hold back part of the extract until flameout? 

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being part of the community and learning!
Jeff
Minneapolis, MN

(Note: Still building my skills and procedures with Steeped Grain LME kits, before venturing out and testing my Chemistry Major skills...)
Recent batches: Irish Red Ale, Dark Wheat Ale, Brown Ale
On tap: Citral Pale Ale
In the works: none
On the drawing board: Chocolate Stout, First All-Grain Batch

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Adding half of extract as flameout?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:01:44 am »
If you are doing a partial boil, like boiling 3 gal and topping up to 5 gal with cold water in the fermenter, the lower wort density in the boil will improve your extraction of bitterness and flavor from the hops.  If you boil the full volume, no problem adding all the extract up front.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:37 am »
If you are doing a partial boil, like boiling 3 gal and topping up to 5 gal with cold water in the fermenter, the lower wort density in the boil will improve your extraction of bitterness and flavor from the hops.  If you boil the full volume, no problem adding all the extract up front.

It also keeps the wort lighter colored.  But be aware that if you don't boil all the extract, you may get more bitterness than the recipe was designed for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BBShop10r

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:22 am »
Ah, that makes sense.  It might explain why my batches have been coming out a bit darker than expected.

Thank you!
Jeff
Minneapolis, MN

(Note: Still building my skills and procedures with Steeped Grain LME kits, before venturing out and testing my Chemistry Major skills...)
Recent batches: Irish Red Ale, Dark Wheat Ale, Brown Ale
On tap: Citral Pale Ale
In the works: none
On the drawing board: Chocolate Stout, First All-Grain Batch