Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2018 National Homebrew Competition Application Open Through January 30  (Read 2722 times)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: 2018 National Homebrew Competition Application Open Through January 30
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 04:09:18 pm »
really wish you guys would accept 22's or 750 ml bottles.

Offline Aksarben

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 05:34:47 pm »
Thanks for the inputs!!  Then there is this German guy using a Soda Stream (which we have) to purge the bottle of air and a way to slow fill bottles video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd31jsPGjaw .  I bought a small drilled stopper that fits inside a bottle neck, last Saturday, and then I brought home one of the many hypodermic needles we have at the winery, (18G - 1.5" long) and pushed it through the cork from the top and it ends up between the inside and outside walls at the bottom (narrow end).  Now to cut the sharp part off with a Dremel cut off wheel and I can put my finger or thumb over the hole on the plastic part to allow just a bit of gas to escape.... slowly.
I can put a hard plastic bottle filling tube inside the rubber stopper and when jammed into the bottle tightens up to make a nice seal.  Will have to give it a try sometime.  Cost?  one rubber stopper and 2.99 bottle filler (plastic), which I will cut some small slots on the deliver end with the Dremel to make sure that it can flow freely.   Little bird special... cheap cheap cheap... Plus I have picnic valve and some hose and ball lock connectors.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:27:09 pm by Aksarben »
Vernon

Associate Winemaker, Fenn Valley Vineyards
Fennville, MI

I was born with nothing, and have managed to keep most of it.

Offline Aksarben

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:15 pm »
Got in a case of the brown PET bottles today and filled one.  Overall diameter is UNDER the maximum allowed and is only 2.712 (must be under 2.750") and height is not as tall as some regular beer bottles I have... Well short of the maximum height.  So, the brand new PET bottles will work.  Light weight for shipping, and are easy to counter pressure fill.  PLUS   they are dark brown and contrary to the Pepsi small bottles I have, which are clear, won't cause issues of light struck... skunky beer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:28:43 pm by Aksarben »
Vernon

Associate Winemaker, Fenn Valley Vineyards
Fennville, MI

I was born with nothing, and have managed to keep most of it.