Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-hydrating dry yeast US-05  (Read 4890 times)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
Re-hydrating dry yeast US-05
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:43:30 pm »
I've read numerous articles and post stating not to use RO or distilled water when rehydrating dry yeast due to the water pressure.  If I use bottled water, won't I have to boil it to kill off bacteria? Other problem is this will turn it into distilled water.  Looking for some help.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Re-hydrating dry yeast US-05
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:09 pm »
Boiling water doesn't turn it into distilled water. Distillation requires condensing the steam off of boiling water. Mineral water or tap water works best for rehydration. My tap water isn't suited for brewing due to really high sodium content, but I use it to rehydrate yeast with no problems.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:41:07 pm »
Correct, don't use RO or distilled water for yeast rehydration. It'll actually kill cells. You need to use water that's osmotically balanced with the internal yeast environment. Bottled spring or tap water works fine, and is, for all intents and purposes, sterile. You can use tap water (assuming it's from a municipal water supply, not a well), which is also, for all intents and purposes, also sterile. But your sink faucet and first few inches of sink piping are likely not, which is why tap water isn't ideal.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:26 pm »
I've read numerous articles and post stating not to use RO or distilled water when rehydrating dry yeast due to the water pressure.  If I use bottled water, won't I have to boil it to kill off bacteria? Other problem is this will turn it into distilled water.  Looking for some help.

Have you considered not rehydrating at all and just dumping the dry yeast into the fermenter? I was turned on to this method and now just over pitch followed by shaking the carboy.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »

Have you considered not rehydrating at all and just dumping the dry yeast into the fermenter? I was turned on to this method and now just over pitch followed by shaking the carboy.
I use primarily dry yeast, haven't rehydrated in years, and I make damn fine beer! If it's a big beer I just pitch more. If it's a REALLY big beer I might rehydrate but other than that I see no need. Even the instructions on a lot of dry yeast say to just sprinkle it on top

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:09:10 am »

I use primarily dry yeast, haven't rehydrated in years, and I make damn fine beer! If it's a big beer I just pitch more. If it's a REALLY big beer I might rehydrate but other than that I see no need. Even the instructions on a lot of dry yeast say to just sprinkle it on top

When I use dry yeast I don't rehydrate even at a commercial level. I do overpitch intentionally by about 20%. I see signs of activity within 12-24 hours.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:54 am »

When I use dry yeast I don't rehydrate even at a commercial level. I do overpitch intentionally by about 20%. I see signs of activity within 12-24 hours.
Good to hear! I just got a mental image of someone opening thousands of 11g sachets... obviously not how it works but made me chuckle
How DOES dry yeast come packaged for the commercial scale? I almost bought what appeared to be a coffee bag of 05 the other day for $75 but exercised some restraint!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:40:11 am »
500g vacuum sealed bricks not unlike coffee bags!

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:52:53 am »
Thank you all for the feedback.  I'm making a Session IPA which doesn't have a high OG, so I don't feel the need for 2 bags of dry US-05.  I believe I read some where that having to many yeast cells can also be bad.

The other question I get a 50/50 ration of "yes" and "no" is the use of yeast nutrients.  I'm still extract brewing, so I don't see the need in the wort, but what about when re-hydrating or making a yeast starter?

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:11 pm »
Denny and I have the same opinion on this one. Yeast nutrient is cheap insurance. But I add it to the wort in the boil. Session IPA? Sprinkle a sachet on top and you're good to go

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:29 am »
Denny and I have the same opinion on this one. Yeast nutrient is cheap insurance. But I add it to the wort in the boil. Session IPA? Sprinkle a sachet on top and you're good to go

I've never used a yeast nutrient and haven't experienced any problems.  I am brewing from the "dark side" i.e. porters and stouts with lots of dark grains and moderate alcohol i.e. 4.5 yo 6.5.  Maybe that makes a difference.

However, I treat anything Denny says as "Gospel".
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 08:52:20 am »

I've never used a yeast nutrient and haven't experienced any problems.  I am brewing from the "dark side" i.e. porters and stouts with lots of dark grains and moderate alcohol i.e. 4.5 yo 6.5.  Maybe that makes a difference.

However, I treat anything Denny says as "Gospel".

You may be better off taking things as interesting data points to check out for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell