Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Top Experiments for every Homebrewer  (Read 3886 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Top Experiments for every Homebrewer
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 09:09:25 am »
I use Bry-97. It clears better and has a cleaner taste than -05 IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 10:08:37 am »
I know this is old news to a lot of you.
 I compared US-05 to Wyeast 1056. I've always assumed that 05 was a  "clean fermenting yeast"  but discovered that I really didn't like the 05 as much as the 1056. I could taste the peach flavor that people told me in the 05 but that  I doubted was there. Both were fermented at 65 degrees.
Now I don't use 05 anymore.

We did that at Experimental Brewing a couple years ago.  If you like, you can check out the results at experimentalbrew.com.
Thanks Denny, I use 05 almost exclusively for my "clean" ale yeast--dry yeast is so much easier to deal with-- so I'll definitely be checking that out! What are the Cliff's notes? I've never noticed anything off but I have a crap palate!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1056 was far preferred to 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 10:20:33 am »
 I compared US-05 to Wyeast 1056. I've always assumed that 05 was a  "clean fermenting yeast"  but discovered that I really didn't like the 05 as much as the 1056. I could taste the peach flavor that people told me in the 05 but that  I doubted was there. Both were fermented at 65 degrees.

We did that at Experimental Brewing a couple years ago.  If you like, you can check out the results at experimentalbrew.com.
Thanks Denny, I use 05 almost exclusively for my "clean" ale yeast--dry yeast is so much easier to deal with-- so I'll definitely be checking that out! What are the Cliff's notes? I've never noticed anything off but I have a crap palate!

Interesting...might have to do some clean yeast experiments!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:51 am »

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-yeast-comparison-same-strain-wyeast-1056-wlp001

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 12:18:04 pm »

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-yeast-comparison-same-strain-wyeast-1056-wlp001
I could have saved my self the time a trusted your results.
It’s hard for me admit that what I’d been doing for years was not what I thought it was. I still haven’t looked your experiment but I wish I had!
There is something to be said for finding out for yourself.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 12:19:15 pm »

Thanks again sir! Gotta say it is really cool that you are still active on the forums. I have a great deal of respect for your experience and opinions and it's pretty awesome to get direct feedback from you! Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 01:01:22 pm »
Denny and Drew, maybe you should get Chris White on your podcast to review the yeast Genome studies.

Read the paragraph under the picture of Kevin Verstrepen. C White says 1056 and 001 are not the same strain.

Article is by Stan Hieronymus.
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/the-family-tree-of-yeast/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 01:56:28 pm »

I could have saved my self the time a trusted your results.
It’s hard for me admit that what I’d been doing for years was not what I thought it was. I still haven’t looked your experiment but I wish I had!
There is something to be said for finding out for yourself.

Absolutely agree!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:04 pm »
Denny and Drew, maybe you should get Chris White on your podcast to review the yeast Genome studies.

Read the paragraph under the picture of Kevin Verstrepen. C White says 1056 and 001 are not the same strain.

Article is by Stan Hieronymus.
http://allaboutbeer.com/article/the-family-tree-of-yeast/

Not a bad idea, Jeff.  We've been talking to Wyeast, also.  I'l see Chris in New Zealand in a few weeks, so I'll try to remember to talk to him about it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 06:37:35 pm »
Curious as to what you've learned! What water profile do you prefer to build from RO for an APA? What is your favorite grist? Hops? Does the yeast make a big difference? You've spent a lot of time trying to find that perfect balance...what's your favorite recipe?

I think I have learned some interesting stuff!

Water: Shreveport has pretty good brewing water, low carbonates, Na and Cl, and a good bit of Ca and SO4. But most local brewers I know are prejudiced against it. I have friends using store bought water without having any idea what its mineral profile might be. Or putting various minerals in RO water and calling it good. I bought an RO unit and totally failed to replicate the quality of Shreveport tap water. This is not a failure to understand the problem, because I'm a chemist! I asked the head brewer at a local brewery how to cope with this and he said "Double the minerals". And I was scandalized. That's not science! Shreveport gets its water out of Cross Lake, and sometimes in late summer it will have an algae bloom that gives it a vegetative smell and taste, but a carbon cartridge takes it right out. These days I add 3 Tblsp of gypsum to the mash to give it more of a Burton on Trent character, but that's it.

Malt: My generic drinkable beer (10 gal batch) is 17 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of Crystal 60, and 2 lbs of vienna. It works out to OG 1.052 and 8 SRM. The vienna gives it a subtle character that stays out of the way of enjoying two or three, where the Special B, Aromatic and Honey can become cloying. Biscuit in the 10% range is like brewing with saltine crackers.

Hops: I bitter with Magnum or Warrior at 60 minutes, and then throw an ounce of hops in at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. The bittering hop amount is adjusted to give 40 IBU when the aroma/flavor hops are taken into consideration. It seems like only Simcoe and the "C" type hops will have any residual aroma after kegging, but almost any hop will give good hop flavor, and that's what I'm looking for. The hops that stood out in my SMASH series were Calypso (because I didn't like its aroma) and magnum (because it seemed to have no character at all).

Yeast: Generally I use WLP-001. I brewed a split recently using Bells 2HA and Parish Ghost yeast. Those brews are as different as night and day (Ghost is a cloudy IPA), but I couldn't tell which split I was drinking in a blind test. There was a Wyeast I really liked called Greenbelt, but we lost our yeast bank when the ultralow in the lab went tits up, and now it seems to be out of production.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 06:40:18 pm »
No, I can't say I've tried that yet exactly.  I have, however, mashed almost every batch for only 40-45 minutes for the past 12 years.  Maybe THAT is why my beer is so $hitty on average!  :)

Sorry to hear that Dave.
Just wondering though if your reading and following a lot of brewing “science” that recommends short and shoddy and tells you nothing matters and you still make beer you’re not happy with, then possibly the next thing to do is try pushing your envelope past standard homebrew dogma.
Just a crazy thought but that’s what helped me the most.

You misunderstand.  I do my own thing.  I don't care what anyone else is doing.  I read and learn lots of stuff, but I myself am a scientist.  I run all my own experiments.  I experiment with almost every batch.  Maybe THAT is why my beer is so $hitty on average.  I believe in my own experiences more than anything I read from random guys on the interwebs.  I make all my own decisions.  Are they all the "right" ones?  Anyone who tastes my beer can judge that for themselves.  I am also my own worst critic.  The objective evidence suggests I am a pretty dang great brewer.  But I know that isn't really true.  I know where I need to improve and generally know how to improve.  I also have opinions about what I do NOT need to do to improve.  Are those decisions the right ones?  See previous sentences.

That makes perfect sense, I just felt bad when you mentioned twice about not being happy with your beers.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 06:58:32 pm »
^^^^

I've never made a beer that's good enough _for me_.  If I ever did, I worry I might quit brewing!  ;) At the end of every brew day and every time I tap a keg, I'm anticipating the next brew day and what I'll try to mess with.  (Mind you after so many years there's a lot that won't change, but there's always still more you don't know than you do.) I never want to be the dog that caught the car!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.