Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: blow off  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: blow off
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:14 am »
The more I think about it I just want somebody out there to get Stingo and see if you can culture up the dregs and use a "real" Yorkshire yeast in homebrewing. I was going to do it years ago, sadly never did.  Phil_M, you say suppliers think this yeast is unsuitable for homebrew as it needs _too much rousing_ ?!  That should be easy, no need for elaborate equipment like in a two-story square or round.   A paddle ought to do it, along with the greater surface area-to-volume on a small scale!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 06:42:44 am »
The more I think about it I just want somebody out there to get Stingo and see if you can culture up the dregs and use a "real" Yorkshire yeast in homebrewing. I was going to do it years ago, sadly never did.  Phil_M, you say suppliers think this yeast is unsuitable for homebrew as it needs _too much rousing_ ?!  That should be easy, no need for elaborate equipment like in a two-story square or round.   A paddle ought to do it, along with the greater surface area-to-volume on a small scale!
EDIT  sorry, I have completely derailed this thread.  But I think Pope is good with his blow off now, so he wasn't using this thread anyway. ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 03:29:30 pm »
This thread got cool.  Started researching open fermentation, something I never though a homebrewer could even attempt.  Maybe this will be a fun, on the side, experiment for me.  Does this look like a good idea for a coolship? 
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/stainless-steel-steam-table-spillage-water-pan/92299765.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAksvTBRBFEiwADSBZfP2B8MgRTaGZ4y7M18Dp3ivohIh-sz7Xi0YViN7l2mcK8TSI9D7j1xoC2cIQAvD_BwE

*Just contacted the company and they say it's not food grade.  What have others used?  What about sawing a PET bottle in half?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:53:05 pm by Pope of Dope »
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 03:52:58 pm »
There are kind of two meanings for open fermentation.  One (I think wjat Phil_M has in mind) is just not having a closed fermenter, so you can skim the crud off (like old time pictures you've probably seen) but keeping it all cultured yeast.  Another is where you're going, also allowing wild yeast to join the party.  A coolship is not needed, it wouldn't be the best way to inoculate the wort (you'll never be able to be sure you'll get usable organisms in there, or do it repeatably. And the ones that take off while it's still warm will be nasty bacteria as likely as any kind of yeast.) 

There's lots of stuff out there on how to capure wild yeast in your yard and culture it up for brewing.  If you have fruit trees in your yard, that's supposed to be a great hunting ground. (I was going to try it, but then had to sell the property with the orcard. :()  I've read articles in a couple of the magazines (for starters try to track down Stan Hieonymus' article in the the June-July 2016 Craft Beer & Brewing) and no doubt lots of books and online resources.  If I still had the apple trees, I'd be giving it a try!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:06 pm »
There are kind of two meanings for open fermentation.  One (I think wjat Phil_M has in mind) is just not having a closed fermenter, so you can skim the crud off (like old time pictures you've probably seen) but keeping it all cultured yeast.  Another is where you're going, also allowing wild yeast to join the party.  A coolship is not needed, it wouldn't be the best way to inoculate the wort (you'll never be able to be sure you'll get usable organisms in there, or do it repeatably. And the ones that take off while it's still warm will be nasty bacteria as likely as any kind of yeast.) 

There's lots of stuff out there on how to capure wild yeast in your yard and culture it up for brewing.  If you have fruit trees in your yard, that's supposed to be a great hunting ground. (I was going to try it, but then had to sell the property with the orcard. :()  I've read articles in a couple of the magazines (for starters try to track down Stan Hieonymus' article in the the June-July 2016 Craft Beer & Brewing) and no doubt lots of books and online resources.  If I still had the apple trees, I'd be giving it a try!

I do live on an orchard, avocados and grapefruit, but harvesting bacteria sounds a little too technical then.  Remember, I'm the guy that started this thread with the duct tape on the airlock idea. So, unless I can use the duct tape to harvest this bacteria I think I'm out.  But, what about just brewing beer as I would, ferment in an open trough for 4 or 5 days, skimming, and then transferring?  I'm intrigued to try something new. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:04:02 pm by Pope of Dope »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 04:04:34 pm »

I do live on an orchard, avocados and grapefruit, but harvesting bacteria sounds a little too technical then.  Remember, I'm the guy that started this thread with the duct tape on the airlock idea. So, unless I can use the duct tape to harvest this bacteria I think I'm out.  But, what about just brewing beer as I would, ferment in an open trogh for 4 or 5 days, skimming, and then transferring?  I'm intrigued to try something new.

We've had 3 different guests on the podcast who capture wild yeast and bacteria.  Sounds not too difficult.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
The idea seems to be, leave a container under a tree.  Make a starter from what falls in.  If it smells and tastes good, pitch it into wort. Not technical, just random chance what you catch.  I'd rather try a few starters I might have to dump than start right  off with a whole brew day's work I might have to dump.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:50 pm »
"harvesting bacteria sounds a little too technical then.  Remember, I'm the guy that started this thread with the duct tape on the airlock idea. So, unless I can use the duct tape to harvest this bacteria I think I'm out."

We need 300 more members like this!

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:23 pm »
I bet duct tape will be involved. The harvesting device is a paint pail with a screen over top so only tiny stuff falls in.  Not bees, or deer, or whatever. Gotta stick the screen on!

And Pope, since you think this took a cool turn, I take back my apology for derailing.  This is one heck of a way to get rid of that pesky airlock, I admit.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 04:33:47 pm »
awesome.

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 05:07:46 pm »
Here's some good stuff.  There's tons more out there.  Search "wild yeast harvesting" or similar.

http://bootlegbiology.com/diy/capturing-yeast/

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/04/ambient-spontaneous-yeast-starters.html

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:22:49 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 06:13:11 pm »
"harvesting bacteria sounds a little too technical then.  Remember, I'm the guy that started this thread with the duct tape on the airlock idea. So, unless I can use the duct tape to harvest this bacteria I think I'm out."

We need 300 more members like this!
Classic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »

Basically, the strains are so oxygen dependent they won't ferment beer to finishing without it. S. Cerevisiae used a large stainless whisk to beat oxygen back into the beer. The voracity of these yeast for oxygen also helps keep the oxygen from staling anything too quickly. Some of the yeast may need to be removed as well, you want them to keep replicating so that they do eat all the oxygen. This in turn promotes the formation of diacetyl, which is not the bogeyman the BJCP (unwittingly) made everyone believe it was.

I do think that historic British beers seem to lend themselves to home brewing.

Pope, sorry for the derail, this is normal around here. It's not meant on purpose, but we usually learn a lot here from derails. I've no experience with harvesting wild yeast, so I'm of no help there. As for open fermentation, if you leave your carboys in an isolated closet, just leave the stopper out for the first 24 hours of fermentation, then rack out from underneath the krausen/barm. Any nasties that may have floated down into the carboy will be left on top of the krausen/barm if all goes well. Works even better with a top cropping strain. That's one simple way to start, you can also just get a food grade bucket and leave the lid off. Plenty of options out there.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 06:40:57 pm »
^^^^
The racking at 24 hours you describe, leaving trub below and dirty kräusen above, is what brewers in the South of England called the "dropping" method! Those yeasts at least are suited to this and a range of other methods suitable for homebrewers:  the Fullers (WY1968/WLP002) is a classic.  I had no idea about the weird habits of Yorkshire yeast.  Indeed we learn a lot from these -- I'd rather not say derailments -- how about excursions on a branch rail line? I'm  starting to wonder what the effects of open fermentation were in old lager breweries, if there were any positive benefits....

EDIT Note, Phil_M, that even in the dropping method, the dropping (literally, to another fermenter one storey below) was vigorous, with much splashing,  to introduce a lot of fresh O2!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:54:08 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:46 pm »
^^^^
The racking at 24 hours you describe, leaving trub below and dirty kräusen above, is what brewers in the South of England called the "dropping" method! Those yeasts at least are suited to this and a range of other methods suitable for homebrewers:  the Fullers (WY1968/WLP002) is a classic.  I had no idea about the weird habits of Yorkshire yeast.  Indeed we learn a lot from these -- I'd rather not say derailments -- how about excursions on a branch rail line? I'm  starting to wonder what the effects of open fermentation were in old lager breweries, if there were any positive benefits....

If you like learning about yeast, search for S. Cerevisiae's posts on here.

I'm not a big fan of 1968, ironically. 1469 is my default, surprise surprise. It's got what I like about 1968, its top cropping unlike 1968, and a bit more fruity than 1968, which I find too clean. 1469 isn't one of the crazy oxygen dependent strains, but I intend to play with it more before I try and track down how to get one of the other strains.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.