Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High temp fermentation  (Read 3459 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: High temp fermentation
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 12:22:15 pm »
One of the most powerful tools against contamination is pitching enough healthy yeast to quickly dominate the wort, and drop the ph to where most contaminants are unable to survive. If the fear is a few stray brett cells or pedio, etc... I think of it this way. If I were trying to get Brett or pedio to produce a noticeable effect, do I think a few airborne cells would be enough? No. Then you have theoretical vs reality. Are these guys who use foil for "open" fermenting experiencing contaminated beers. No.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 05:27:22 pm »

Same thing as putting foil on your starter. Stuff won't crawl under the foil, you just want to stop stuff from falling/ floating in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like deer or whatever. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 05:41:17 pm »
HA!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 10:57:48 pm »

Same thing as putting foil on your starter. Stuff won't crawl under the foil, you just want to stop stuff from falling/ floating in.

Like deer or whatever. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I live in the city now so I don't need foil.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 10:05:52 am »
I'll bet you a homebrew that your beer is fine. I always crank the temps on Saisons (ramping one right now using WLP590 French Saison and WLP644 Saccharomyces Bruxellensis Trois) to make sure they attenuate fully. Drinking the incredibly delicious product of the last brew using those yeasts as a split batch saison. RDWHAHB!

The key to making sure saison ferment fully (those made with the Dupont stain at least) appears tpo be open fermentation. 

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/saison-yeast-airlock-vs-open-ferment-does-it-prevent-stall

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure

if the DuPont strain(s?) are so pressure sensitive, then how do people bottle carb with the strain? The more I've used the DuPont strain the more I become convinced it is a wild sacch.