Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19287 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 04:08:21 pm »
I think we're witnessing an evolution of the style.  Not to say the style we've historically come to love and enjoy is evolving, but a new breed of IPA's is coming into fruit-ition (lol...no pun intended).  It's becoming hip.  There are so many breweries moving toward this new-found style, and the beer consumer seems to be embracing them.  It's hard for me to wrap my brain around this trend or fad or...., but it's definitely happening.  Love it or leave it....it's reality.

I think a few cans just exploded as I was typing this post.  ;D

Glad to see you checking in, Ron.

Indeed!  I was in shock!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 05:19:34 pm »

I’ve tried to find a NEIPA that I really liked. Being in the Midwest, I do not have a lot to choose from. The ones that I have tried have not been very good.

Where in the midwest?  We have some good ones around here in NE Iowa/Minnesota.

I can definitely see where IPA is overdone...... and I really would love to find more good pilsners/lagers, bitters, but, I still find IPA's to be my go to beer for the most part.  Other than finding a really well-made pilsner...... I almost always go for something in the pale ale/IPA department. 

The only thing I really do not like when it comes to IPA's is that they have gotten pushed to higher and higher ABV.  I just don't want 7-8% beers when I go out drinking..... even when I am at home drinking.   4-5-6% is honestly my max for the most part.  I can't stand going into places and seeing every beer at 7-8% ABV.

I love classic pale ales, over hopped pale ales, session IPA's, classic IPA's like two-hearted or the many west coast versions for example, and I also love well made NE IPA's too.  There is zero sign of NE IPA's going away around here.  People love them.  I even see it at the home-brew level.  I have people over to my basement-bar on many occasions, and generally have 6 beers on tap.  My NE IPA is by far, not even close, what everyone goes for.  I probably brew 5 gallons of it every 2 weeks (or more) and I still can't keep it on tap.  Even BMC drinkers let me know it is the first hoppy beer they ever really liked.  For a lot of people, the absence of the traditional IPA bitterness is what appeals to them.  I get why some people don't go in for them - but, in the end, IPA's have really found ways to appeal to a wide range of people - and that is what it is all about. 

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:28 pm »
For those of you who love brewing pils as opposed to IPA, what liquid yeast do you recommend to use?  I've tried dry yeast with bad results so far.

Czech Budejovice is a great one for pils that I've used.  2124 is also great (as mentioned above) but takes a little extra time to fully settle.
Hey stpug, 34/70 is indeed powdery (I just came upstairs from adding gelatin finings to a batch) but that does make it attenuate well and clean up after itself.  I've never used the Budejovice.  How does it compare to the 34/70 on temperature tolerance, attenuation, etc?

Sorry for the late reply... I just saw the follow-up post from you.

White labs recommends 50-55F for fermentation, so that would be the safe route.  I personally fermented several lagers using this strain with my chamber set at 48F with probe taped to side of fermenter (I always kind of assume there's an extra degree inside [beer at 49F or so] since the probe is on the outside and isolated from the exothermic action).  As for attenuation, I generally find most lager yeast that are used in light lagers (i.e. lagers consisting of primarily base malts - highly attenuable) to attenuate to 79-82%, and this one fell into the 80% AA range for me as well.  Also, it cleared a little bit better than 2124, but not so great as to write home about.  Finally, it creates a fairly dry and crisp finish without losing much malt character or any hop qualities.  If you're looking for some residual sweetness in a lager then this strain is probably not the ideal choice, but if you want a crisp refreshing finish then it's a worthwhile strain to try out.

I bet this strain gets overlooked a fair amount because it has "Bud" in the name ;D

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:03 pm »
For those of you who love brewing pils as opposed to IPA, what liquid yeast do you recommend to use?  I've tried dry yeast with bad results so far.

Czech Budejovice is a great one for pils that I've used.  2124 is also great (as mentioned above) but takes a little extra time to fully settle.
Hey stpug, 34/70 is indeed powdery (I just came upstairs from adding gelatin finings to a batch) but that does make it attenuate well and clean up after itself.  I've never used the Budejovice.  How does it compare to the 34/70 on temperature tolerance, attenuation, etc?

Sorry for the late reply... I just saw the follow-up post from you.

White labs recommends 50-55F for fermentation, so that would be the safe route.  I personally fermented several lagers using this strain with my chamber set at 48F with probe taped to side of fermenter (I always kind of assume there's an extra degree inside [beer at 49F or so] since the probe is on the outside and isolated from the exothermic action).  As for attenuation, I generally find most lager yeast that are used in light lagers (i.e. lagers consisting of primarily base malts - highly attenuable) to attenuate to 79-82%, and this one fell into the 80% AA range for me as well.  Also, it cleared a little bit better than 2124, but not so great as to write home about.  Finally, it creates a fairly dry and crisp finish without losing much malt character or any hop qualities.  If you're looking for some residual sweetness in a lager then this strain is probably not the ideal choice, but if you want a crisp refreshing finish then it's a worthwhile strain to try out.

I bet this strain gets overlooked a fair amount because it has "Bud" in the name ;D

Thanks! Sounds like it acts more German than Bohemian, which I should expect having had the beer. I use 34/70 and repitch for a whole lot of generations, so I rarely change up yeasts.  This I might try next time I buy fresh yeast.  If only to be different.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 08:06:21 pm »
I think we're witnessing an evolution of the style.  Not to say the style we've historically come to love and enjoy is evolving, but a new breed of IPA's is coming into fruit-ition (lol...no pun intended).  It's becoming hip.  There are so many breweries moving toward this new-found style, and the beer consumer seems to be embracing them.  It's hard for me to wrap my brain around this trend or fad or...., but it's definitely happening.  Love it or leave it....it's reality.

Out here, it's a passing fad already.

Either it's not a passing fad, or somebody really misjudged.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31149.0
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2018, 07:57:52 am »
Hey Denny: All I drank yesterday was IPA after 4:PM and hung with the crew after a long week of brewing. I did drink some bourbon when I got home. But if I'm going to indulge in some after hours IPA I'm not going to be drinking anything but hoppy beers (or bourbon) the rest of the night. Which limits me greatly. There are so many great beers out there that resolve themselves on your pallet after consuming it is a shame that so many craft IPA drinkers never get to experience them because they think IPA is the end-all-be-all.

That's all I'm really saying. Also I didn't chew gun or eat any weird candy or fruits yesterday that would have screwed up my pallet.

narvin

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2018, 07:58:48 am »
I swear these "no IBU" fruit bomb "IPA's" are for people that would rather have a wine cooler but are too embarrassed to order one  :D  :D. But seriously, tons of residual sugar, huge body, no bitterness and fruitiness out the ying yang, that sounds like Bartles and James not an IPA.

Any specific examples you're talking about?  Obviously they exist but I think many other IPAs have improved vs 10 years ago due to better packaging/freshness, more late hops, and fewer residual sugars/crystal malts.

these neipa that use super fruity hop varieties, super fruity, low attenuating yeast and high chloride water. It makes for a fruity and insipid drink for my tastes. They taste like wine coolers.

Any specific examples? I've had some from Hill Farmstead, Trillium, etc. that are obviously crafted very well and taste great. Obviously you get turds as outliers but the well made versions are worth seeking out.

Indeed, Trillium is one of my favorites.  Not insipid at all.  Crisip and bright, with some bitterness but the hop flavors are varied and extremely fresh.

narvin

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2018, 08:04:17 am »
I'll also say that I had a two hearted recently and thought "Wow, this is malty."  So it a) either wasn't very fresh, or b) my tastes have moved towards less (or no) crystal malt in an IPA.  Either way, I don't see how a typical NEIPA would taste sweet, except for the ones that go for the extreme "no bitterness" end of the spectrum due to the balance.  But still, I'd think they finish at a lower gravity than the old school American IPAs like Two Hearted.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2018, 09:29:40 am »

which is why I said "out here".  Breweries that used to make 3-5 of them now maybe have one or none.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2018, 09:30:29 am »
Hey Denny: All I drank yesterday was IPA after 4:PM and hung with the crew after a long week of brewing. I did drink some bourbon when I got home. But if I'm going to indulge in some after hours IPA I'm not going to be drinking anything but hoppy beers (or bourbon) the rest of the night. Which limits me greatly. There are so many great beers out there that resolve themselves on your pallet after consuming it is a shame that so many craft IPA drinkers never get to experience them because they think IPA is the end-all-be-all.

That's all I'm really saying. Also I didn't chew gun or eat any weird candy or fruits yesterday that would have screwed up my pallet.

we all have our own tastes.  Drink what you like, when you like, and I'll do the same.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2018, 09:31:24 am »

which is why I said "out here".  Breweries that used to make 3-5 of them now maybe have one or none.
I've not seen one yet

narvin

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:25 am »

we all have our own tastes.  Drink what you like, when you like, and I'll do the same.

Don't tell me what to do!   ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2018, 10:59:58 am »
I'll also say that I had a two hearted recently and thought "Wow, this is malty."  So it a) either wasn't very fresh, or b) my tastes have moved towards less (or no) crystal malt in an IPA.  Either way, I don't see how a typical NEIPA would taste sweet, except for the ones that go for the extreme "no bitterness" end of the spectrum due to the balance.  But still, I'd think they finish at a lower gravity than the old school American IPAs like Two Hearted.
I get fresh Two Hearted often. It is more balanced than a West Coast IPA, but the bitterness is there, and the aromatics are really nice. NEIPA is all aroma and flavor, not much in the finish, I don’t like the mouthfeel or the astringency that many have.

I have never had a Trillium or Treehouse. The true NEIPA may be out there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2018, 11:09:06 am »

A friend sent me a Two Heated maybe 15+ years ago.  At that time, I thought "what's all the hype about?".  Just didn't seem all that hoppy.  I had the same reaction to Hop Devil (as did my wife) and Hop Slam.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2018, 01:18:34 pm »
There's a lot of great IPA's out there, and the best ones are fresh out of the tap. 

There are so many milkshake IPA's in the Mid-Atlantic.  Some of these breweries are all of the rave.  I won't mention any brewery names, but there is an amazing amount of attraction to these haze bombs.  Just look on Untappd and you're head will spin.  I've had a few that were decent, but I'm thinking that this will all just pass, and they'll all come back around. Dunno... :-\

I love a good fruit smoothie, but a beer smoothie....well I'm still on the fence with that.  ::)

As Denny said, drink what you like...when you like, and as often as you like.  I certainly won't hold anything against you.  ;)

Ron Price