Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19291 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2018, 08:21:35 pm »
I recommend that you pace yourself. Start out with a plain vanilla APA, then progress to a slightly more aggressive style and so on. Finish the night with a nice hoppy DIPA.

That's what I do. Keep it interesting!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2018, 09:56:24 am »
LOL I didn't drink anything but IPA all weekend. But it does affect my taste for other beers. We have a SMASH Amarillo IPA right now that is very delicious.

I recommend that you pace yourself. Start out with a plain vanilla APA, then progress to a slightly more aggressive style and so on. Finish the night with a nice hoppy DIPA.

That's what I do. Keep it interesting!

Charlie

lol I do know how to drink beer. But thanks for the tip. ;)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2018, 10:12:10 am »
You're trying to convince the cask ale diehard to filter? Heresy!  :P
My bad! Cask ale has its own exemption from filtration.  But look how hard the brewers at the turn of the 20th c. worked to develop rapidly clearing yeasts and better finings.  And I can tell you, no matter how much beer is left in cask, as soon as the slightest turbidity appears, good British pub patrons will raise the alarm, and a publican worth his salt will change casks.  Crystal clear bitter is its own special joy.  EDIT  To your point Phil, at the turn of the century, British consumers would not accept running beers unless they were as brilliant as the aged stock beers they were replacing! So yeah, uneducated consumers are part of the problem

I'll say it - Cask ale is overrated, too.  Most are grassy and astringent as hell.  The increasing oxidation and increasing flatness does nothing for me.  Pass.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:41 am »
I recommend that you pace yourself. Start out with a plain vanilla APA....

Charlie
Holy crap Charlie, "vanilla APA..."  If that gets out out of context you will be held personally responsible for the coming fad of "Pastry Pales."  : ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2018, 06:17:07 pm »
You're trying to convince the cask ale diehard to filter? Heresy!  :P
My bad! Cask ale has its own exemption from filtration.  But look how hard the brewers at the turn of the 20th c. worked to develop rapidly clearing yeasts and better finings.  And I can tell you, no matter how much beer is left in cask, as soon as the slightest turbidity appears, good British pub patrons will raise the alarm, and a publican worth his salt will change casks.  Crystal clear bitter is its own special joy.  EDIT  To your point Phil, at the turn of the century, British consumers would not accept running beers unless they were as brilliant as the aged stock beers they were replacing! So yeah, uneducated consumers are part of the problem

I'll say it - Cask ale is overrated, too.  Most are grassy and astringent as hell.  The increasing oxidation and increasing flatness does nothing for me.  Pass.

In the UK I have had beers you speak of. I have also have had cask ales that were sublime, and I would sink many Imperial Pints in a sitting. Dreaming of a Timothy Taylor Landlord at peak condition now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »
I recently brewed my attempt at Innkeeper. I had a cpl mis-steps so the beer was not my best but I will give another try at a better representative soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2018, 06:56:43 pm »
I recommend that you pace yourself. Start out with a plain vanilla APA....

Charlie
Holy crap Charlie, "vanilla APA..."  If that gets out out of context you will be held personally responsible for the coming fad of "Pastry Pales."  : ;)

Like. lol
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
I'll pile on and agree that I'm pretty tired of IPA too.  I rarely order IPA any more. 
If I do, it's in the sampler.  Otherwise, I go for the roasty beers, lagers, sours,
and non-over-the-top-hopped ales. There's more to life than lupulin.
I don't brew very often any more, and when I do, its generally not an IPA. Ciders,
Pale Ales, lighter stuff is the norm for me now.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:15 pm »
Found a Knee-Pa finally. Wasn't horible.

Offline Robert

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 05:28:52 pm »
I see Brew Dog has a Knee-Pa.  Since their US brewery is only 2 hours away from me, it stands a chance of being fresh, which I gather is crucial. I plan to pick some up and give it a try, so I can say I did.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2018, 05:36:06 pm »
It was really juicy!

Offline Robert

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
At the market now.  Brew Dog Hazy Jane.  Canned 1/29.  Gonna try, report later.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2018, 08:36:40 pm »
BrewDog Hazy Jane:   Completely opaque:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0MJuY0Y3tEeCk_phBwN3MQNJppStEVb/view?usp=drivesdk

Thick mouthfeel -- I mean it feels like a thin slurry of flour with light carbonation. Smells like an IPA.  Tastes just like pineapple juice.  There is some perceptible bitterness, I don't know how much is true to style.  This seems just enough to counter the otherwise potentially cloying palate.  Never had anything like this, may never buy it again, but I'm going to enjoy the sixer.  (Not like the Sam '76 I dumped. Different thread.)  But more than one at a sitting would be difficult.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:42:08 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:28 pm »
 not an IPA drinker here.
We as home brewers brew because we can make what we like. Me.. i always have a beer like a Irish ale, red rye, or northern English ale on one of my kegs and a nice light beer like a Blond or Golden ale or Philsner on the other. I just don't get some of those IPAs although i have has some that are nice but i wouldn't want a whole keg of it.
  I just like to change it up. there are too many people that all they drink are IPAs which is fine but why not drink something else once in a while there are so many great beer to drink.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2018, 05:55:24 am »
BrewDog Hazy Jane:   Completely opaque:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0MJuY0Y3tEeCk_phBwN3MQNJppStEVb/view?usp=drivesdk

Thick mouthfeel -- I mean it feels like a thin slurry of flour with light carbonation. Smells like an IPA.  Tastes just like pineapple juice.  There is some perceptible bitterness, I don't know how much is true to style.  This seems just enough to counter the otherwise potentially cloying palate.  Never had anything like this, may never buy it again, but I'm going to enjoy the sixer.  (Not like the Sam '76 I dumped. Different thread.)  But more than one at a sitting would be difficult.

The best descriptor for a "good" NEIPA for me is "mimosa". Not my favorite beer, but I'll grudgingly admit it's not bad with a nice full breakfast.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.