Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 12660 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Picobrew Z
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:24:25 am »
Looks like Picobrew is releasing a new model, the Z. Brews 1-10 gallon batches, I'm guessing it works similarly to existing models. Kind of looks like a cassette tape to be honest. Any more info out there?

https://thespoon.tech/picobrew-aims-to-fill-gap-between-home-pro-market-with-picobrew-z/

The author seems a bit off with the price, I couldn't imagine that you'd spend more than $10k on one of these. A Brewie B20 is $2300 and has a 5 gallon capacity, and I see larger systems go for $6-8k.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:43 am »
Yeah, I know some about it...basically it's an upgraded Pico, with expandable capacity.  You get the "brains" then add as many 2.5 gal. "brewing units" as you want up to 10 gal.  All new pumps and heat exchanger, built in cooling (I'm told), and a bunch of other cool stuff I can't talk about til the official release next week.   Based on what I know, admittedly not a lot, I think the price quoted it too high.  I know that the introductory price is around $1299 (after discounts) for the basic unit.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:04:40 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:06:08 am »
I was thinking more along the lines of a Dell Server :)

I wish there was at least some indication on pricing.  I got the discount code anyways but somehow think it's going to be a bit out of range price-wise.

Edit:  Thanks for the pricing info.  Do you know if they will release additional details before the launch day.  I wouldn't mind looking over the specs before deciding to drop $1300-$1700 on a system I have to make sure works with what I have.  Since the discount is only good on day one, doesn't leave much time to decide.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:12:14 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:22:51 am »

I wish there was at least some indication on pricing.  I got the discount code anyways but somehow think it's going to be a bit out of range price-wise.

Edit:  Thanks for the pricing info.  Do you know if they will release additional details before the launch day.  I wouldn't mind looking over the specs before deciding to drop $1300-$1700 on a system I have to make sure works with what I have.  Since the discount is only good on day one, doesn't leave much time to decide.

Thagt's pretty much all I know.  If there's somehting specific you want to know, I'll try to find out for you.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:45 am »
These things are the equivalent of Kierig pods for coffee brew free or die!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:27:44 am »

No, they're not...at least this one.  I find it odd that some people (like some guys in my club) seem to define what "homebrewing" is by the amount of work you do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:25 pm »

No, they're not...at least this one.  I find it odd that some people (like some guys in my club) seem to define what "homebrewing" is by the amount of work you do.
I call one of these a huge savings when I look at what I’ve bought. Half of it is collecting dust.

Jeff B

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:52 pm »

I’d agree with that. Day one only discount isn’t giving you any time to make a decision.

Offline Jon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:31:26 pm »
One of my questions would be lead time. Is this a prepared product they will be producing and shipping with reasonable lead time? Or a kickstarter sequel experience where it could be a year?

Offline Jon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:28 pm »
And a reply on the brewie statement above. I waited patiently for my brewie to show. It finally did and is full of bugs and customer service is not responsive. Still hopeful it will get fixed too but may be a giant waste of money.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
And a reply on the brewie statement above. I waited patiently for my brewie to show. It finally did and is full of bugs and customer service is not responsive. Still hopeful it will get fixed too but may be a giant waste of money.

That's too bad, it looked like a pretty cool system. Something appealing about being able to hook up a water line to the back and truly have a mostly hands off brew system. What kind of level of bugs are they? Is it something that stops it from working completely, or something that just makes it annoying to use?

Offline Jon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:19:05 pm »
Current list:
-Doesn’t drain more than 14% of mash tank at once (annoyance)
-unclogging of boil tank doesn’t work (potentially just annoyance until actually clogged
-machine shuts itself off repeatedly, despite verifying correct electrical output (makes inoperable)
-Automatic water on “short clean” overflowed (annoyance as can manually load for that cycle)

The mesmerizing thing is the lack of response.

That's too bad, it looked like a pretty cool system. Something appealing about being able to hook up a water line to the back and truly have a mostly hands off brew system. What kind of level of bugs are they? Is it something that stops it from working completely, or something that just makes it annoying to use?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
I hope you get the bugs worked out and this becomes a valued-added piece of equipment in your brewery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »
Thanks

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 05:15:38 am »