Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keezer + Fermentation "Tank" build  (Read 1324 times)

Offline wkiss1

• 1st Kit
Keezer + Fermentation "Tank" build
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:55:16 pm »
The preface: I built a keezer a while back and can currently fit 3 kegs, co2 + regulator, and a 5 gallon carboy in there. I use an inkbird dual stage controller to regulate the temperature within the unit. I don't currently use any sort of heating element in it. I just have the freezer plugged into the inkbird.

The question: If I was to build a divider (just a wooden board with a bunch of insulation) and divide the keezer to about a 1/3 to 2/3 split, could I run a fermentor heater (one of the fermentor wrap ones) to the one side and plug it in to a separate inkbird?

My concerns are 1: that having a heating unit in a cooling unit would create condensation and it would be a fire hazard. 2: the temperature wouldn't be able to be regulated properly. Because of the two separate probes, once heated, it might keep rising and be difficult to lower again.

I'm in an apartment and don't have much space to play so I'm trying to maximize my tools. All I really need it for is to raise my lagering temperature a little bit to one side while still being able to serve beers on the other.
Let me know if this is a terrible idea or not. Thank you!!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Keezer + Fermentation "Tank" build
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:06:05 am »
Greetings wkiss1 - if I understand your question, you’re suggesting to use one inkbird to control the heating element on one side and another inkbird to control the cooling on both sides?  That notion in itself will be problematic because whatever heat source you choose to use will have to have the capacity to maintain heat in the fermenter and overcome the ambient cooling called for by the other controller.

I don’t believe condensation will be an issue, nore will you have any issues with a fire hazard.  I do believe, however, the main problem you will realize is the inability to properly maintain accurate temperature in your fermenter.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:51:54 am »
There are loads of threads here and on HBT discussing the same issue. I can’t recall if anybody ever got it to work, but a search would get you somewhere.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »
Putting further thought into this, perhaps it would work if you insulated the crap out of the carboy to prevent it from picking up cooling brought on by the other controller. Then, make sure your inkbird sensor for the heating side is burried in the insulation.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉