Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 12790 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:02 am »
After launch day discounts, who the hell is going to pay $8500 for a 10 gallon system?  Even pro-brewers aren't spending that on a pilot system.

I guess we'll see later today when they release it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:07:29 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:36:05 am »
https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products/Z.cshtml

It looks interesting, but man, for that price...You can by a new Sabco brewmagic ($7k), brew more per batch, and have some money left over. Based on the classifieds you can also get used systems with a few fermenters!

I'm sure there'll still be plenty of bigger craft breweries that can justify the cost though, a pilot system is only worthwhile if you have someone to run it. Another brewer costs a lot more than $8.5k.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:24 am »
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 12:10:38 pm »
Not sure how you increase modules down the road if the z1 runs on 120v and the z2 needs 240v. But yes that is pricey.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 12:39:26 pm »
One of my questions would be lead time. Is this a prepared product they will be producing and shipping with reasonable lead time? Or a kickstarter sequel experience where it could be a year?

Shipping July 1.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 12:40:58 pm »
Not sure how you increase modules down the road if the z1 runs on 120v and the z2 needs 240v. But yes that is pricey.

I don't think it's out of line for the intended market.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 04:16:29 pm »
Denny,

Any idea how they are handling the increase from 120v to 240v if you add on a unit later to go from 2.5g (Z1) ro 5g (Z2)? Can you even add units/modules later? I don't think either are addressed.

Offline pacerra

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 04:07:31 pm »
One of my questions would be lead time. Is this a prepared product they will be producing and shipping with reasonable lead time? Or a kickstarter sequel experience where it could be a year?

I just upgraded my zymatic to the new z I expect delivery in the summer. The company has done well by me with the original zymatic. If anyone is interested this is a $50 coupon code valid through mid March.

KZ5NK

https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products/z.cshtml

narvin

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:38 pm »
Well, now that I can finally see what it looks like... this is groan-worthy.  Data centers scale horizontally because that's how software works, but why in the world would you want 4 separate mashes?  I know they likely did this for the buzzwords to get funding, but it's not even literally horizontal.  Horizontal vertical scalability!

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 12:52:04 pm »
Denny,

Any idea how they are handling the increase from 120v to 240v if you add on a unit later to go from 2.5g (Z1) ro 5g (Z2)? Can you even add units/modules later? I don't think either are addressed.

Nope, no idea.  You could email support@picobrew.com for an answer.

www.dennybrew.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 12:52:56 pm »
Well, now that I can finally see what it looks like... this is groan-worthy.  Data centers scale horizontally because that's how software works, but why in the world would you want 4 separate mashes?  I know they likely did this for the buzzwords to get funding, but it's not even literally horizontal.  Horizontal vertical scalability!

Maybe you don't, but a lot of the customers this is aimed at do. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
I don’t get the way they scaled it either. The only advantage i see is using less bins if the mash isn’t too large.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 02:52:53 pm »
I don’t get the way they scaled it either. The only advantage i see is using less bins if the mash isn’t too large.

Keep in mind that a lot of the focus of this product is restaurants and other commercial operations like that.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:48 pm »
Geez for all that money, you could pay me to come brew for you, and HSA the F out of it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 03:56:50 pm »
Geez for all that money, you could pay me to come brew for you, and HSA the F out of it.
I actually wondered if you could seal one of these up in a CO2 purged keezer before running it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer