Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 12780 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:49 am »
Another question, did the AHA endorse the Z or write an article about it? There is a banner on top of PicoBrew’s Z page with a bunch of blog and magazine names. In that list is “American Homebrewer’s Association”. I haven’t seen an article on the AHA site so I am curious why the AHA is mentioned in that group.

PS. I have no beef if AHA did write an article or get paid to endorse. I am just curious and would like to read the article if there is one.

https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products/z.cshtml

Maybe because there's a Zymatic at AHA headquarters?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 10:20:34 am »
It still doesn’t chill?

It does chill.
Not in the marketing material. Crazy that people are dropping big bucks without full spec sheet readily available.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 10:22:19 am »
It still doesn’t chill?

It does chill.
Not in the marketing material. Crazy that people are dropping big bucks without full spec sheet readily available.

Rather than speculate, I asked.  I was told it will chill.  Of course, they could change that, but that's what I was told.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2018, 10:31:56 am »
In terms of hobby stuff, it's fairly cheap. A pair of Yamaha 150 outboards are about $24k, to go salmon fishing at bouy 10 twice a year.... now That is money

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:04 am »
In terms of hobby stuff, it's fairly cheap. A pair of Yamaha 150 outboards are about $24k, to go salmon fishing at bouy 10 twice a year.... now That is money

Haha! That's a good point. I'm into HiFi and the stuff I want is so expensive I'd have to get a divorce to buy it and then I couldn't afford it.

The stuff you can do with step mashes with the pico is incredible my only real gripe is the way it handles hops. I much prefer the hops directly in the boil. I guess you can do that if you use a large enough hop sock.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:40 am »
$24K is engines only, assuming everything else is free. Boat $50k, rods n reels $200 each, electronics, licensing, bait, tow charge cuz you forgot fuel, USCG fine for expired fire extinguisher lol.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:00 am »

Haha! That's a good point. I'm into HiFi and the stuff I want is so expensive I'd have to get a divorce to buy it and then I couldn't afford it.

The stuff you can do with step mashes with the pico is incredible my only real gripe is the way it handles hops. I much prefer the hops directly in the boil. I guess you can do that if you use a large enough hop sock.
What is the resulting problem with their method for adding hops? Less flavor, aroma, bitterness per ounce of hops? something else?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:04 pm »

What is the resulting problem with their method for adding hops? Less flavor, aroma, bitterness per ounce of hops? something else?

I haven't tried a whole lot of hoppy beers aside from the one I was disappointed with so I'd rather hold my opinion on that for now because it could have been a programming error on my part. I'm going to try it again soon and will report back.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 12:05:35 pm »
I haven't tried a whole lot of hoppy beers aside from the one I was disappointed with so I'd rather hold my opinion on that for now because it could have been a programming error on my part. I'm going to try it again soon and will report back.

For really hoppy beers I increase hop amounts by 20%.  Seems to work for me.  I believe that will be dealt with in the new unit.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Picobrew Z
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »

Oh sure, if you’re gonna use logic and sound reasoning then I think we’re done here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:09:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 12:10:22 pm »

For really hoppy beers I increase hop amounts by 20%.  Seems to work for me.  I believe that will be dealt with in the new unit.

Don't have the handbook in front of me but there is a max they recommend for each bin. Do you just exceed that?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 01:16:02 pm »

Don't have the handbook in front of me but there is a max they recommend for each bin. Do you just exceed that?

I assume you're using pellets?  You could probably get 3 oz. per bin easily.  Plus if you want to you can program a pause, pull out the step filter, and refill a cage.  If you use whole hops, the amount would be significantly less.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:01 pm »
Well, I just looked it up and it says 1.5 oz per compartment. Still, that's a lot of hops for a 2.5 gallon batch. I think I have gone 2 oz before. I'll try 3 for grins. ;)

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2018, 01:46:24 pm »

I assume you're using pellets?  You could probably get 3 oz. per bin easily.  Plus if you want to you can program a pause, pull out the step filter, and refill a cage.  If you use whole hops, the amount would be significantly less.

I believe picobrew recommends a max of 1.5oz per cage...I assume to allow for expansion once the pellets get wet.  You can do as Denny suggest  by using a pause step in the advanced editor.  If I am looking for a big 10min addition I often just program one for 11min and one for 10min and split the addition between 2 cages if I am not using all 4.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2018, 02:01:05 pm »

I believe picobrew recommends a max of 1.5oz per cage...I assume to allow for expansion once the pellets get wet.  You can do as Denny suggest  by using a pause step in the advanced editor.  If I am looking for a big 10min addition I often just program one for 11min and one for 10min and split the addition between 2 cages if I am not using all 4.

Yeah, I do realize you can pause and add more pellets. The potential for hops stands is also amazing. You could do a 24 hour (or longer) hop stand at 185 if you wanted.