Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 12667 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 02:27:48 pm »

I haven't tried a whole lot of hoppy beers aside from the one I was disappointed with so I'd rather hold my opinion on that for now because it could have been a programming error on my part. I'm going to try it again soon and will report back.

For really hoppy beers I increase hop amounts by 20%.  Seems to work for me.  I believe that will be dealt with in the new unit.

Don't have the handbook in front of me but there is a max they recommend for each bin. Do you just exceed that?

I assume you're using pellets?  You could probably get 3 oz. per bin easily.  Plus if you want to you can program a pause, pull out the step filter, and refill a cage.  If you use whole hops, the amount would be significantly less.

I believe picobrew recommends a max of 1.5oz per cage...I assume to allow for expansion once the pellets get wet.  You can do as Denny suggest  by using a pause step in the advanced editor.  If I am looking for a big 10min addition I often just program one for 11min and one for 10min and split the addition between 2 cages if I am not using all 4.

Yeah, I do realize you can pause and add more pellets. The potential for hops stands is also amazing. You could do a 24 hour (or longer) hop stand at 185 if you wanted.

So what you're saying is, you are creating a SEIPA, and the key character is from the 24hr hop steep. Hmmmm grassy

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »
Haha! Yeah but it's still pretty amazing. ;)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:06 pm »
Fast forward: "no dude, they get the grassiness from adding actual yard clippings! I'm telling you bro, I have a friend who went to school with the brewer"

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:47 pm »
Jim... I need salmon bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2018, 08:12:39 pm »
Matt!!!!!!

Ya, so don't we all. They are about extinct

My river opens in June. Let's see how it goes
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:14:47 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:46 am »
If anyone is considering adding additional modules to a z1, here’s the response I got with regards power requirements.

“Before we ship, we’ll be reaching out to you regarding your voltage preference. Go ahead and request the higher voltage. This way, if you’re planning to add additional modules, you’ll be ready-in-advance for the power requirements.”

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:51 am »
I believe picobrew recommends a max of 1.5oz per cage...I assume to allow for expansion once the pellets get wet.  You can do as Denny suggest  by using a pause step in the advanced editor.  If I am looking for a big 10min addition I often just program one for 11min and one for 10min and split the addition between 2 cages if I am not using all 4.

Keep in mind that it takes 5 min. for all the wort to circulate through.  So a 10 min. addition would be like a 2 min. addition on another system.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:57 am »

Keep in mind that it takes 5 min. for all the wort to circulate through.  So a 10 min. addition would be like a 2 min. addition on another system.

Interesting, I do recall that being stated but never thought of it in that way.  I was thinking hop contact time with boiling wort would be important for flavor /aroma retention?  It seems most of the public recipes in the zymatic’s database use the traditional hop addition timings.  Do you think this is why there are discussions around it not producing as hoppy wort?  Perhaps these additions just need slid back?  I usually just add more hops than I would on my other system and run a 20-30 whirlpool below 180 and beers come out nice and hoppy.  Perhaps I’ll run my late additions earlier in the boil for my next IPA and see how it goes.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:21 am »
Interesting, I do recall that being stated but never thought of it in that way.  I was thinking hop contact time with boiling wort would be important for flavor /aroma retention?  It seems most of the public recipes in the zymatic’s database use the traditional hop addition timings.  Do you think this is why there are discussions around it not producing as hoppy wort?  Perhaps these additions just need slid back?  I usually just add more hops than I would on my other system and run a 20-30 whirlpool below 180 and beers come out nice and hoppy.  Perhaps I’ll run my late additions earlier in the boil for my next IPA and see how it goes.

First, you need to tell me how you define "hoppy" in this context.  Bitter?  Flavor? Aroma?  Some combo?  I think the reason you see traditional hop schedules is because people aren't aware of how it works.  I know I wasn't until Kevin mentioned it to me a couple years ago.  It shouldn't affect bitterness, but will late additions.  Your method seems like it should work pretty well.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25:58 am »

First, you need to tell me how you define "hoppy" in this context.  Bitter?  Flavor? Aroma?  Some combo?  I think the reason you see traditional hop schedules is because people aren't aware of how it works.  I know I wasn't until Kevin mentioned it to me a couple years ago.  It shouldn't affect bitterness, but will late additions.  Your method seems like it should work pretty well.

Flavor mostly and some aroma but I figure I pick this up via whirlpool and dry hopping.  However, if I’m not whirl-pooling I may slide back the late additions to see how it goes between now and when my Z arrives.  Do you know if the zymatic recipe crafter takes this into account for IBUs? 

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Flavor mostly and some aroma but I figure I pick this up via whirlpool and dry hopping.  However, if I’m not whirl-pooling I may slide back the late additions to see how it goes between now and when my Z arrives.  Do you know if the zymatic recipe crafter takes this into account for IBUs?

No, I don't know.  I assume it does becasue they claim to have had beers analyzed.  I'm about to get 4 Zymatic beers analyzed for IBUs for other reasons, so I may be able to get a handle on how close it is.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
Picobrew Z
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:26 pm »
Cool.  I’d be interested in what you find.  I was going through several of the picobrew designed recipes and see they utilize traditional 60, 30, 15, 10 and found a few that even had 5min additions.  IBU analysis would be particularly helpful if the Z utilizes they same method for hop additions.  Also would be helpful in recipe scale up.  I have not tried to brew the same beer on my zymatic and my other system.  Might be a fun experiment to see how close they come out.

Offline heavydeadlifts01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 07:10:54 am »
Well I just preordered the z2 5 gal setup. I’m stoked that there is going to be a cooling function as Denny has stated.

Am I hearing correctly that this also has a whirlpool function as well?

Anyone have links to threads about different hopping techniques for the zymatic? I brew some super hoppy styles myself

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:17 am »
Took me some time for me to figure this out and adjust for it.  Been brewing on the Zymatic for a couple years now and am finally getting my hoppy beers where I want them.  The pale/ipa systems from my 'traditional' system relied on larger doses of very late hops, I've had to both up the hops like Denny mentioned, spread out when the hops are added and move them up in time to get my hoppy beers to turn out like I expected.

I mostly do 3.5 gallon batches with OG's of 1.045-1.052 which is possible on the Zymatic, you just start with a full keg of water.  For my beers that depend on a l lot of late hop character I will often do 1.5 oz additions at 21 min, 14 min, and 7 min.   For comparison that about seems to match what I'd get out of my 10 gallons system with 8 oz of hops added (to a 10 gallon batch)  at flameout and and whirlpooled for 15 min before chilling with a plate chiller.  That results in more of a hoppy but not too bitter beer, to get more bitterness I'd suggest just adding some to the beginning of the boil to reach your bitterness preference.  The IBU's calculated for the late additions on the Zymatic are useless, interested to see what data Denny gets back.

Pretty sure the adjustments needed to hop timing are why some Zymatic users aren't happy with their hoppy beers.  I had to figure it out with a lot of trial and error.

Offline NewBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2018, 11:59:29 am »
Hey All!

I'm new here and just posted my first thread about my curiosity on what peoples thoughts were on the PicoBrew Z and if it could be a good system for a newb like myself. I've gotten some good feedback already but wanted to connect on this thread as well and the existing conversation about this product and see what others might think. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the PicoBrew Z, if it's worth the price tag, and if it would work for a newbie brewer? I'm really excited about the PicoPak adapter as I'd really like to create my own in the future granted that I'm able to hone my skills into something worthwhile to drink. They were supposed to make the adapter for the Zymatic (which I was highly considering getting), but I found out they shelved that idea once they announced the Z. Thanks in advance for your input! Really appreciated!

Here's a link to the PicoBrew Z for reference - https://www.picobrew.com/Store/Products/Z