Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z  (Read 12816 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Picobrew Z
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 12:18:24 pm »
AFAIK, there's no "adapter" for the Z to brew Paks.  It just does.  I think....and I could be wrong.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline NewBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2018, 02:03:05 pm »
Ok, when I had asked PicoBrew about a PicoPak adapter they had said that it was included, but it probably makes more sense that they would have just adapted the container to convert for both needs.  I guess we'll see.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2018, 02:46:21 pm »
Ok, when I had asked PicoBrew about a PicoPak adapter they had said that it was included, but it probably makes more sense that they would have just adapted the container to convert for both needs.  I guess we'll see.

You may know more about it than I do

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Picob
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2018, 04:14:48 pm »
Flavor mostly and some aroma but I figure I pick this up via whirlpool and dry hopping.  However, if I’m not whirl-pooling I may slide back the late additions to see how it goes between now and when my Z arrives.  Do you know if the zymatic recipe crafter takes this into account for IBUs?

No, I don't know.  I assume it does becasue they claim to have had beers analyzed.  I'm about to get 4 Zymatic beers analyzed for IBUs for other reasons, so I may be able to get a handle on how close it is.

How does overnight chilling effect the hop additions? I assume that the bitterness will be higher than if you chill quickly because of the extended contact with the wort while  it cools.

Many times when looking at the recipe library I wish people would state what method of chilling they used. I suspect that there’s a big difference in how the hops will be utilized if you overnight chill or if you use a plate chiller, or an  immersion chiller.

Offline NewBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2018, 05:37:52 pm »
Ok Guys I'm so excited!

So I just pulled the trigger & bought the new PicoBrew Z!  As I went down the rabbit hole doing research I just couldn't stop myself. Plus it's fully refundable until it ships in July so I figured it was a no brainer to get the discount which expires on March 15th and then do more research.

I got to take advantage of the discount going on and used a coupon code from a forum member (thanks for that!) to get an extra $50 off. If anyone moves forward I would love for you to use my coupon code KYZ5R ...you'll save $50 and I'll save some money too. I love the community element of saving money on this item!  Also anyone with a Zymatic can exchange their current model for a $600 credit towards any of the Z models as well.

Even though I pulled the trigger and just bought one I would love to still discuss the merits of this machine as I have till July to cancel if I want. Happy Brewing! So excited!

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:33 am »
I believe picobrew recommends a max of 1.5oz per cage...I assume to allow for expansion once the pellets get wet.  You can do as Denny suggest  by using a pause step in the advanced editor.  If I am looking for a big 10min addition I often just program one for 11min and one for 10min and split the addition between 2 cages if I am not using all 4.
Keep in mind that it takes 5 min. for all the wort to circulate through.  So a 10 min. addition would be like a 2 min. addition on another system.
Took me some time for me to figure this out and adjust for it.  Been brewing on the Zymatic for a couple years now and am finally getting my hoppy beers where I want them.  The pale/ipa systems from my 'traditional' system relied on larger doses of very late hops, I've had to both up the hops like Denny mentioned, spread out when the hops are added and move them up in time to get my hoppy beers to turn out like I expected.

I mostly do 3.5 gallon batches with OG's of 1.045-1.052 which is possible on the Zymatic, you just start with a full keg of water.  For my beers that depend on a l lot of late hop character I will often do 1.5 oz additions at 21 min, 14 min, and 7 min.   For comparison that about seems to match what I'd get out of my 10 gallons system with 8 oz of hops added (to a 10 gallon batch)  at flameout and and whirlpooled for 15 min before chilling with a plate chiller.  That results in more of a hoppy but not too bitter beer, to get more bitterness I'd suggest just adding some to the beginning of the boil to reach your bitterness preference.  The IBU's calculated for the late additions on the Zymatic are useless, interested to see what data Denny gets back.

Pretty sure the adjustments needed to hop timing are why some Zymatic users aren't happy with their hoppy beers.  I had to figure it out with a lot of trial and error.

Thanks for the info.  I’ll give these timings a try on my next IPA. 

Now that the Z is coming I have this urge to brew as much as possible on my Zymatic before trading it in LOL

Offline cubsfan16

• 1st Kit
Picobrew Z
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2018, 07:45:13 pm »
Anyone watch the Live stream interview promo for the Z today?  It’s on their FB page now. 

I was hoping for more discussion on function.  I thought the Z2 looked different than on the promo image on the website as well.  I’m curious if the chilling will be integrated, though I just bought a corny pillar and used it once so far, so I won’t be too heartbroken if it isn’t included.  Also excited to see the interface on the machine and recipe crafter.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:45:15 pm by cubsfan16 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
Anyone watch the Live stream interview promo for the Z today?  It’s on their FB page now. 

I was hoping for more discussion on function.  I thought the Z2 looked different than on the promo image on the website as well.  I’m curious if the chilling will be integrated, though I just bought a corny pillar and used it once so far, so I won’t be too heartbroken if it isn’t included.  Also excited to see the interface on the machine and recipe crafter.

I have been told that chilling will be incorporated.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2018, 07:35:59 pm »
Nice of the aha to send out discount codes today. I may pull the trigger.

Offline king_ry

• 1st Kit
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:45 pm »
Does anyone have AHA member discount code? I received the email a week or so ago, but can't find it now. I don't think it is listed in the AHA Member deals list on the website either.

Thanks.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »
Does anyone have AHA member discount code? I received the email a week or so ago, but can't find it now. I don't think it is listed in the AHA Member deals list on the website either.

Thanks.

The one I found expired on March 4th
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny