Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closed transfer  (Read 13243 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Closed transfer
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:16:30 pm »
I'm flirting with trying closed transfer. I use Speidel 30Ls. I stumbled onto these ball lock in caps with 5psi adjustable PRVs.

How are you guys cleaning and sanitizing your spigot after fermentation for transfer? I don't like the idea of running 5 gallons through a wild inoculation

How do you know when you have the keg properly filled? I'm looking at some color change tape for the side of the keg, but don't know if it changes between room temp  (keg) and 32-35° (incoming beer)

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Closed transfer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
Could you measure the weight of the keg as you fill it? 5 gallons of water weighs about 42 pounds. 1.050 wort adds about 5 %. Doesn't need to be super accurate, maybe a bathroom scale?

Edit: you're not measuring wort, its beer. So, at a FG of 1.010, it only weighs about 1 % more than water.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:35:36 pm by roger »
Roger

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:01 pm »
Starsan and a spray bottle. And you fill the keg until beer comes out the gas in port... Thats all the more complicated this needs to be.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:13 pm »
One other thing, how do you deal with yeast? All of my beers finish with trube up to the level of the spigot

It will have to be a simple thing that doesn't add a bunch of new stuff to clean.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »
One other thing, how do you deal with yeast? All of my beers finish with trube up to the level of the spigot

It will have to be a simple thing that doesn't add a bunch of new stuff to clean.

What fermenters do you use Jim?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:03:45 pm »

What fermenters do you use Jim?
Speidel 30L. I have the spigot but don't use them. I use a cap on the bottom port. I rack with auto siphon

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »
This is what I would use for pressure in

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Closed transfer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:50:00 pm »
Doesn’t he also make a dip tube fitting for the Speidel Jim?  I use 15g with the red screw top. Like a Speidel before they were around. I’m trying to figure out how to do what you are doing. That top w the dip tube would be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:51:33 pm by coolman26 »
Jeff B

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »
And you fill the keg until beer comes out the gas in port...

Since my kegs have vents, I just pull the vent rings and let the beer push the gas out. Why rely on the gas in port?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:14:08 pm »
And you fill the keg until beer comes out the gas in port...

Since my kegs have vents, I just pull the vent rings and let the beer push the gas out. Why rely on the gas in port?

Because when doing a closed transfer, you will have the gas in going back to the top of the fermenter. So when that line fills with beer, the keg is full.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:18:32 pm »
Doesn’t he also make a dip tube fitting for the Speidel Jim?  I use 15g with the red screw top. Like a Speidel before they were around. I’m trying to figure out how to do what you are doing. That top w the dip tube would be the ticket.

Oh I agree. That to me would be ideal. I'm not seeing it though.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 03:22:00 pm »

The only dip tubes I see are for the spigot which doesn't make sense to me. I transfer from the spigot. If I was to use one of these dip tubes, I would pick up a ton of yeast.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:23:35 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »

The only dip tubes I see are for the spigot which doesn't make sense to me. I transfer from the spigot. If I was to use one of these dip tubes, I would pick up a ton of yeast.
Unless you could rotate it up out of the yeast

Maybe place the blow off tube they sell, inside of the spigot and rotated upward? But I wonder about getting it to not leak.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:29:10 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 03:27:58 pm »

Unless you could rotate it up out of the yeast

Just thought of that. Usually the yeast settles right below the spigot for my 30L. I thought you guys were essentially talking about a racking cane built into the lid. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:32:49 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »
Fyi, I called norcal. She is building me a  Speidel version of a sanke transfer! I'll share the scoop when I get it