Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen at pitch on cake?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Shawn3997

• 1st Kit
Oxygen at pitch on cake?
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:13:46 pm »
Just pitched a bock on a cake and gave it lots of O2 just in case it needed it.  Two days later and it still wasn't really taking off so I threw in more yeast.  To see the other side, I pitched another beer on a similar cake with no added oxygen and it took off within the same day.  Did I make a mistake by oxygenating?  Did that signal growth to the yeast that caused the lag?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oxygen at pitch on cake?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:59:52 am »
Are you relying on airlock bubbles or are you looking at the fermentation, itself?  A small leak can render the airlock unreliable.  That said, how old was the yeast cake?  That could be your issue, though I have never seen a repitch of a healthy yeast not take off quickly, even for lagers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Shawn3997

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »
Are you relying on airlock bubbles or are you looking at the fermentation, itself?  A small leak can render the airlock unreliable.  That said, how old was the yeast cake?  That could be your issue, though I have never seen a repitch of a healthy yeast not take off quickly, even for lagers.

Both.  Yeast cake was only 4 days old but had been sitting under an inch of beer leftover from bottling.  I figured that'd be enough.  Just read an article telling me that I'm over-oxygenating anyways so that might be the problem.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:36:04 pm »
Adding O2 from the cylinder?  Yea, that can get toxic, at least in theory.  I am not sure the saturation level that is achieved based on relative times and quantities per liter, but certainly it will easily exceed atmospheric levels when left on for too long.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"