Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closed transfer  (Read 13104 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Closed transfer
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2018, 05:35:12 pm »
What would happen if you Connect the keg gas to the top of the Speidel?
Wouldn't gravity move the beer to the keg and keg co2 to the Speidel?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2018, 05:39:05 pm »

I don't use gravity. Scroll up to see my configuration. Post #69.  It's basically a Sanke transfer spear, for a Speidel.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2018, 05:41:31 pm »

I don't use gravity. Scroll up to see my configuration. Post #69.  It's basically a Sanke transfer spear, for a Speidel.
My bad. I was responding to Macbrews and you got your message in before I pressed Send.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:45 pm »
Lol

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
In my arrangement, I know I could run the keg gas back to the Speidel and do gravity, thought about it, but since I have to get the gas bottle out of the keezer to purge the keg anyway, that seems like just one more jumper line to put together.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2018, 09:02:29 pm »
I’m digging the Speidel setup. I wish they were around when I was buying my 15 gallon fermenters. I may be able to use some weldless type fitting to rig something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2018, 07:14:36 am »

I probably could. I would guess once I got the beer flowing it would stop at equilibrium which would be visually seen as a fluid level somewhere along the return line to the fermenter.  I’ll give that a try next time.   It might be a while though as I just got a Ss Unitank and will be playing with it for a while.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2018, 12:32:08 pm »
Has anyone experienced leaks at the valve with the added pressure?  I have both plastic 60L Speidel and stainless 15 gallon Chapman fermenting tanks.  Just wondering about the seal at the valve on a weldless bulkhead with standard stainless valve and at the gasket for the Speidel.  Jim solves it with his top racking approach, but I am looking at racking from the low point.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Has anyone experienced leaks at the valve with the added pressure?  I have both plastic 60L Speidel and stainless 15 gallon Chapman fermenting tanks.  Just wondering about the seal at the valve on a weldless bulkhead with standard stainless valve and at the gasket for the Speidel.  Jim solves it with his top racking approach, but I am looking at racking from the low point.
I haven't had any leaks adding pressure to draw samples or before cold crashing, I'll be doing my one and only transfer with the system configured as in the pics I've linked tomorrow.  Then I'm replacing the spigot I show with the ball lock fitting Nor Cal made me.  It was more sanitary concerns than pressure that made me modify my design but it should address both.  I'm not sure if you're worried about the valve or the gasket, but Nor Cal' s v-groove gasket seems more fool proof than the standard Speidel item.  I'll let you know how the transfer goes, but I'm confident, as I did test the rig under  pressure with water before putting it into use.  Note the Nor Cal gas in on top has a PRV set to 5psi.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2018, 08:41:50 am »
Transfer went perfectly.  Used macbrews' audible feedback idea!  Ball lock will make it even easier next time, but under pressure from the bottom works fine.  Didn't get pics, will try to remember in 2 weeks.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2018, 09:19:15 am »
All cleaned up, sanitized, closed up and ready for next batch;  here's the new ball lock in place:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qloLiFgV0AIyPR8gS3ZlC4XaY7ayDriN/view?usp=drivesdk

Kudos to Jay at Nor Cal.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:29 am »
Transfer went perfectly.  Used macbrews' audible feedback idea!  Ball lock will make it even easier next time, but under pressure from the bottom works fine.  Didn't get pics, will try to remember in 2 weeks.

And here's a pic of the setup in action!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NENcbG78DfZBf0TZ_hwKToANrtgad62/view?usp=drivesdk

Loving this.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2018, 04:54:58 pm »

And here's a pic of the setup in action!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NENcbG78DfZBf0TZ_hwKToANrtgad62/view?usp=drivesdk

Loving this.
I’m sure you are aware, but when pushing with pressure to the “audio bucket” you better be Johnny-on-the-spot when the transfer is complete or you’ll lose some beer or certainly a bunch of foam and CO2 blowing out the gas port.  My set up was Gravity fed from a breather so it would stop at equilibrium or when the transfer is complete. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:23 pm »
Macbrews,
I actually plan my length to allow a little loss in transfer, to make sure the keg is full (and then push a little more out to make some head space.)  But you're right, when the noise stops it's flowing!  I only use about 2psi so it does bubble vigorously, but the flow is really fairly slow.  Anyway, thanks for the technique! 

Another thing I've learned about the Speidel is that yeast harvesting is much easier than with a glass carboy; easy to pick it up, swirl and shake, and no worry about air contact.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2018, 08:47:20 am »
Since we are looking at closed transfers:
I have a new 7 gal unitank from Ss.  I brewed a Schwarzbier in it and carbonated/conditioned it in the tank to a pressure of about 18 psi at 34 degrees f.
I am pushing CO2  in at 18 PSI through the blow-off tube and receiving it in the keg at 17PSI which is regulated by a spunding valve (it stays at 17 and hisses during the transfer).  Since there is no visual indication of filling, the keg is on a scale to let me know the volume so it doesn’t go into the spunding valve.  Filled the keg in about 10 minutes or so.