Author Topic: Closed transfer  (Read 7905 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Closed transfer
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »
Look, all is well. Deep breaths.

You might try sometime to understand that prefacing "Not trying to start a fight" indicates that perhaps you realize that what you are about to say might be perceived as trying to start a fight. You are the oxygen guy. I get it. It's totally my fault for not taking the time to detail what I meant, or to use proper scientific language. By now I should know better that not everyone understands a figure of speech.

My hope is that one day you will come to realize that I am not the enemy. Just a schlep trying to find more ways to enjoy his hobby. I'm not trying to disrupt your oxygen thing.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 12:47:13 AM »
Jim, at some point could you post pics of the transfer rig in place on the fermenter?  Someday I probably want to get away from glass carboys, and closed transfers are a must whatever I switch to.  Speidels might be an attractive option, but they're not available locally, and I'd have to really know what I'm getting into before ordering sight  unseen.
You'd have to talk Drew into posting more on the forum for glass transfer.

I contemplated pictures today but frankly my phone was in the house and i was in focus mode. Pressure plus unknown... But Ya! In a few weeks I'll be doing it again and is be glad to.

I've been brewing in Speidels for a while now. I have 6 of them. I use two for sours, two as extras, and the two I routinely brew on. Honestly, I think the separate sour gear is over freaking. We bring more contaminates into our regular brewery that we realize. I would be totally relaxed to clean, iodophor, and use my sour gear in my regular beers.

Bla bla bla

I'll take a pic for you next time.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:13 AM »
Jim, at some point could you post pics of the transfer rig in place on the fermenter?  Someday I probably want to get away from glass carboys, and closed transfers are a must whatever I switch to.  Speidels might be an attractive option, but they're not available locally, and I'd have to really know what I'm getting into before ordering sight  unseen.
You'd have to talk Drew into posting more on the forum for glass transfer.

I contemplated pictures today but frankly my phone was in the house and i was in focus mode. Pressure plus unknown... But Ya! In a few weeks I'll be doing it again and is be glad to.

I've been brewing in Speidels for a while now. I have 6 of them. I use two for sours, two as extras, and the two I routinely brew on. Honestly, I think the separate sour gear is over freaking. We bring more contaminates into our regular brewery that we realize. I would be totally relaxed to clean, iodophor, and use my sour gear in my regular beers.

Bla bla bla

I'll take a pic for you next time.

Thanks.  The thing with glass is that I'm still lifting the carboy onto the bench to elevate it over the keg, because I'm afraid to apply more pressure than is needed to, in effect, start a siphon and replace the volume of drained beer with gas.  Doing the transfer on ground level is a really attractive idea, and the Speidel looks like a bargain.  Don't want to shell out for a bunch of stainless gear! :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »
You and me both. For one pressurized conical I can get several 9 gallon Speidels. I keg 5 gallons, 6 gallons to the Speidel with gobs of headroom. I've never had real blow off but one time with a 7 gallon sour that I added a gallon of pomegranate concentrate.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 01:33:39 AM »
 Jim, you use Iodophor to sanitize?  I am considering a switch from Star San because I read it doesn’t kill everything. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
Iodophor for kegs and kegerator. Starsan for everything else, unless it's touched sour.

I use spray bottle starsan for stuff like tinfoil. I use starsan liquid for stuff like thoroughly cleaned starter flasks, fermentor, pump, hoses etc. Stuff I think is coated in bugs gets thoroughly hot cleaned and sanitized with no rinse dilution of iiodophor.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:43:09 AM by klickitat jim »

Offline Robert

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 01:44:16 AM »
I'm not Jim, but I'll chime in.  I've gone to iodophor WHEREVER POSSIBLE, because it is in fact a broad spectrum stone cold killer, and acids aren't. (Iodophor's cheaper, too, just got a gallon for ~$50.) But there are times when it's just impractical, and I still have a bucket and spray bottle of StarSan on hand always, to squirt a fitting, or dip a sample thief, etc. But more and more I'll even make up a very small amount of Iodophor for those applications.  I like the low foam/slickness too.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 02:08:59 AM »
On that note, I'm not Jim either.

Or am i?

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:24 AM »
On that note, I'm not Jim either.

Or am i?

Jim, are you getting enough oxygen?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 02:50:45 AM »
I have no way of knowing

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2018, 02:52:45 AM »
Ignorance is bliss.  And it's cheap.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2018, 03:37:56 AM »

Look, all is well. Deep breaths.

You might try sometime to understand that prefacing "Not trying to start a fight" indicates that perhaps you realize that what you are about to say might be perceived as trying to start a fight.

Like " With all due respect", or "not to be a jerk"?

Anyway, with all due respect the ss brew buckets can supposedly only take 1-2 psi, and the small fast ferments are tempting at the price. So is the Anvil mini fermenters.

I'm definitely looking at this, not just for 02 reasons. I hate lifting my fermenters and trying to figure out how long until everything settles back down. Very little patience.

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »
Is there a thermowell option for the Speidels? That would be another thing to tip me one way or the other.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Check NorCal- they have a bunch of nifty innovations and I seem to recall one was a thermowell from the top with an airlock arrangement.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
Iodophor: Embrace the stain
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)